What did I get?

Started by WestCoast Transplant, March 06, 2018, 03:59:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WestCoast Transplant

So in my hunt to build a new collection, I ordered two Beachmasters (155 and 160) from Ebay. $25 with shipping. I figure not to bad.
I get home and open the box to find my latest prize. I didn't notice how much of a size difference there was between the two.
I set the newly arrived 160 next to the 160 I bought Saturday with spare parts. (Whole other story) I think the Ebay Beachmaster "160"
is really a Baymaster 180 with a replaced plate. The stand has 30-180S stamped into it.

Did I score something sweet or just a nice light weight reel?
And how can I tell if it's plastic or aluminum spool?

Beachmaster 155-Beachmaster 160-alleged "Beachmaster

The best place to be is outdoors

JRD

Your alleged 160 has been narrowed to 180 size or just has a new plate as you guessed.  Penn aluminum spools have a sharp shoulder.  You don't have one there.  Newell aluminum spools do have a rounded shoulder.  Also plastics normally have a hole through them.  Tap on it with a screw driver, plastic has a distinct sound.  Or just dive into them, you'll see from the inside.

Swami805

Sure looks like a 180, just a bit wider than a 160. could have been someone switched the plate and the seller didn't know the difference. Nice little reel the 180 and you did good for $25. Ebay can be a box of chocolates.
Likely the spool is plastic, a real score if it's aluminum. It' will be pretty obvious when you open the reel. Plastic spool will be fine on a reel that size for lighter line.
Nice reel for the cost of a few cups of coffee
Do what you can with that you have where you are

WestCoast Transplant

The non handle side plate is correct for a 180. The clicker doesn't work so I'll see what spool itches tomorrow.

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

nelz

STOP USING PHOTOBUCKET!!!

WestCoast Transplant

Quote from: nelz on March 06, 2018, 06:30:36 AM
STOP USING PHOTOBUCKET!!!
Sorry. Can't figure out why I can't load directly from the computer yet

Keta

Load to our gallery, it was hard for me at first but I'm not all that bright with computers.  If you have problems e-mail me the photos and I will upload them for you.

I have seen reels on eBay advertised with the stand # and not the real reel number ( ;D)  by people that do not know Penn reels.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

thorhammer

The S on the stand generally means "Saltwater"; back in the day Penn would have multipole stand variations for some lighter reels like 109 (9 uses the same stand also, 209 had S version as well), so they could tailor to both fresh and saltwater applications. Nice score. I love these reels. Note, the Baymaster , Beachmaster and 350 Leveline use same drive train (5-155 main gear) whereas Surfmasters use 5-60. Spools are interchangeable throughout if the cage width adjusted accordingly. The 350 obviously has a one-off caging, but I include it here because the spool fits the "x-Master" reels. I had one with a 29-350 tho others have 29-200. Note, the 30-49 stand is drilled for a clamp and fits the 180 should you need one.

John

Gfish

Good info. John. Now I know the gear size on my 350 levelline. It was a first for me, those small leather drag washers, but 2-0.5mm and 1-1.0 mm, C-tex cut by me are gonna replace 'em. Shoulda guessed when I saw the 3?-155 bridge.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

thorhammer

The 350 under gear is same too, key 4-155, as beachmaster.

J

WestCoast Transplant

Great info! I'll post pics tonight from the gallery.
Can't wait to dig further into this one. Could be my next surf perch rig.

WestCoast Transplant

bottom to top - 155 Beachmaster from Ebay, 160 Beachmaster from a parking lot deal, Alleged "160 Beachmaster" from Ebay.
the 180 definitely has the proper left side plate for a Baymaster and there are handle side plates on Ebay which
I will pick up to correct the reel.