buying from japan on ebay

Started by Swami805, March 06, 2018, 05:52:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swami805

Greetings, I'm looking at buying a shimano calcutta 50 from the big site and most of the listings are from Japan. Any tips on buying from Japan or just avoid it altogether. Not a ton of money but wouldn't want to get burned. Any Tips? thanks
Do what you can with that you have where you are

JRD

I've bought a few Japan spec Shimanos from Japan with no problems.  Just review feedback, make sure there are a variety of buyers. 

Jenx

Buying from Japan is no different than buying domestically. In both cases you should only buy from established sellers with proven track records.

I have bought a JDM reel from Japan in the past. The only down side I noticed was the pricier S&H fees.

oc1

I've gotten some good ones from Japan and some with irreversible problems (torqued frame and such).  Prices of Japanese-made reels are higher from Japanese sellers.  If I wasn't in rehab I wouldn't balk at buying from Japan.
-steve

Keta

I would not hesitate buying from Japan, I have been burned by PRC sellers and will not buy from China.

I love my Calcutta 51's and wish they were still available.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Dominick

Quote from: Keta on March 06, 2018, 02:12:12 PM
I would not hesitate buying from Japan, I have been burned by PRC sellers and will not buy from China.

Anyone want to buy a Go Pro?   :D ;D ;D ;D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

nelz

So you don't get hit with extra customs fees before delivery?

Tightlines667

Quote from: Dominick on March 06, 2018, 10:53:42 PM
Quote from: Keta on March 06, 2018, 02:12:12 PM

Anyone want to buy a Go Pro?   :D ;D ;D ;D Dominick

I think that was China ??? :-\ :-[ >:(
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Swami805

Thanks for the tips, seems like alot more 50's available there.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Bryan Young

I have bought a bunch of stuff from Japan. Never a problem and condition was as described. I only bought used so there's no additional tax on used items.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

whalebreath

Quote from: Bryan Young on March 07, 2018, 01:20:17 AMI have bought a bunch of stuff from Japan. Never a problem.....
X2-I'd buy again tomorrow if I needed something.

fordfox

X3.... Bought a couple of Penn 50's and they were AS DESCRIBED, to a 'T'.. As a previous member suggested, check their history. I would definitely buy Japanese again. Just my 2 cents!

Tiddlerbasher

Buying from Japan no problem. I've done it several times. Buying from the US problems (from a UK guy). Shipping costs are huge - shipping costs from the UK to US are 10/20% >:(. A lot of US shippers state  actual values on the goods shipped - why? Have you any idea how much that costs the buyer? We have to pay import duty on the initial cost plus duty on shipping plus a 'handling' charge - it can double or treble the price of an initially reasonable cost item - new or second hand doesn't matter. Asian shippers are more 'flexible' - recently bought a new Mitutoyo digital caliper from Japan, no import charge and free shipping (and yes it was a genuine article, just registered the serial no with the factory ;))

I realise this is not a particular  'US problem' but please be aware when  you ship to other countries.

philaroman

you ever think that unfair, excessive taxation may be your problem, rather than US shipping  ???
just dump all the tea in the harbour -- worked out just fine, for us  :P
(and get rid of the "superfluous U", while you're at it)

Tiddlerbasher

"just dump all the tea in the harbour -- worked out just fine, for us  Tongue"

We did - just waiting for the politicians to make it happen