yet another USA american flag fishing rod

Started by steelfish, March 09, 2018, 12:45:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

so, oddly some american friends that live here asked me to rebuild their fishing rods with Mexican flag colors, now one asked me if I can make something similar but with the USA flag colors, dang !! USA colors are easy to work on a rod but it simple colors can be seem as French flag colors, so it has to have some stars and bars, Im not into weave wraping desings to make the stars and bars but remember a trick from another rod builder on BD with some stickers that you can find on any craft store, so, based on his work I made my own version, it was an old Sabre stroker 80lb rod.

love the finished product, tons of pics to check many angles and colors with different backgrouds.

for being the 1st I made under this theme it looks really good.
The Baja Guy

handi2

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Alto Mare

Very nice job Alex, Keep up your great work compadre.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

bhale1

Alex,
That came out great! Don't  underestimate the time and work you've put in! You are putting out some top of the shelf rods.
Keep up the good work senor. Keep the pics coming😁
Brett

Swami805

Mas que bueno Alex, you're getting this down.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

bluefish69

Alex

The rod came out really nice. Keep it up.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Tiddlerbasher

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

STRIPER LOU

Alex, I can see you put your heart into that piece. Absolutely beautiful work!

Regard's,  ..  Lou

droppedit

Some days the supply of available curse words is insufficient to meet my demands.

http://www.turnerscustomrods.com

swill88

Great job Alex! Beautiful.
I've got one of those old glass Sabres. Great stick.
Might have to bring it to you when I get over to your side of Baja.
Steve

Fishy247

Muy guapa primo! Nice, clean lines. I really like the applique work you did with the stickers for the underwraps. Did you do a layer of white thread first?

-Mike

steelfish

thanks guys, I really appreciate your kind words, I've learned a lot from guys in here that I cannot thank enought to some of you.

it feels nice to bring back the life span and beauty of a beloved rod, I dont charge much (compared to other near options) but enough to cover cost and pay for new toys/upgrades for my gear but most important I have made lots of new good friends on this venue, its being long ago since I havent paid prime-cost to go fishing, now just share the gas and food cost and have a good time with many new local friends that I didnt have before "being" the guy that fix rods and reels on his free time, that is better than charge $30 bucks more on each rod.

@Steve, bring it on amigo, I recently restored a old Harnell 9ft spinning rod to a guy that wanted it restore cuz it belonged to his brother that passed away few years back, he wanted it with the original colors but with the pacbay Twist guides, his face when he saw the rod was priceless, thank me a lot cuz now the rod will surely be with him a lot more years and it looked better than new, he gave me a tip almost the amount I charged him for the job.

The Baja Guy

steelfish

Quote from: Fishy247 on March 09, 2018, 05:40:46 PM
Muy guapa primo! Nice, clean lines. I really like the applique work you did with the stickers for the underwraps. Did you do a layer of white thread first?

-Mike

do you mean a layer of white thread as underwraps?
no, what I did is to put a underwrap of the same thread color of the overwrap, after the 1 part of the underwrap blue color I put the sticker section that is visible under the guide, then continue with the underwrap with same red color I would use for overwrap, no white thread on the underwrap if you see something like that might be the effect of the epoxic, the only white thread I used was on the decorative wrap after the foregrip
The Baja Guy