lamiglas blanks

Started by farmer56, March 09, 2018, 07:48:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

farmer56

farmer  56   here.....   i  really  like  casting  1 oz.  to  1 1/2  oz.  spoons  on a  7 ft.  lamiglas  fiberglass  blank  i  had  made up   for  northern pike  in  canada....   was  looking  at  the  lamiglas  site  and  saw  they  had  fiberglass  7 ft.  15-30  and  20-40  blanks....  what  could  there  use  be  on a saltwater  boat...would  they  be  considerd  30 #   and  40  #  class  rods   or  not ....i  am  so  green  on  saltwater  fishing  ,  terms  ,  etc.  its   pathetic  ....  i  know  fiberglass is  heavy  but  i  love  how  forgiving  they  are  when  casting.... the  models  are  BT875s  and   BT842m   colors  honey  or  white  maybe  even  black  didnt  look....i   like  honey  color  the  best.....any  thoughts  out  there.....on  a  side  note  they  would  only  see a  vintge  penn reel.....either a  squidder, jigmaster,  senator  110-111-112-113....surfmaster ,beachmaster , or  baymaster...as a  standup  boat  rod  i  would  make  them  up  as  6 1/2  ft.  length....what  other  length  rods  should   i  look  at  or  should  i  forget  fiberglass....

droppedit

I have built and fished with many Lami blanks. Both the blanks you mentioned a a strong and slower action blank. They are a popular blank for haddock fishing in the Northeast. The BT875S is one of my favorites as the action is slow and a haddocks mouth is soft. The softer rod is a bit more forgiving and there are way less pulled hooks, at least for me. Glass is a bit more heavier but I'd rather have the slower action than the light stiffer graphite rod, especially on a rough day.
Hope this helps.

Dave 
Some days the supply of available curse words is insufficient to meet my demands.

http://www.turnerscustomrods.com

farmer56

Dave....  thanks ,    but  what   class  #  would  you  classify  them      farmer  out

philaroman

I think last digit&letter is Power/Action
5s = Power 5; Slow
2m = Power 2; Moderate

thorhammer

Higly recco, have several. nothing matches on a classic Penn or Newell like a honey Lami.

farmer56

hey  thor  after  reading  about  the  rods  taken  on  the  spirit  of  adventure  charter  over  the  years  they  talk  about    30  lb.  class  ,  40  lb.  class  50 lb.  class  rods  do  you  know  how  those  blanks  would  rate...  thanks  Dennis

Jigtosser

Dennis,
The line ratings for fiberglass rods are basically the same as the old days when all rods were fiberglass.
Example 15-30 would be a 20# rod. 20-40 would be a 30#rod and so on.
This is a general rule of thumb by the different rod builders...  There is always the exception for specialty rods and special purpose rods.

Also, a 7 ft rod is a very good length for saltwater. I have and use,many 7 ft rods.
But, I do love my 8+ 9 ft glass Jig Sticks... ;D ;D ;D

Hope this helps...
Danny

Swami805

Lami makes really nice glass blanks and have always had a good reputation. Wouldn't hesitate for a second buying one. If you can go pull on some from your local vendor, if not the advice above is sound. Some of the old lami's go for some serious coin too.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

farmer56

hey  guys  thanks  for  all  the  info   .......  i  still cant  comprehend what  an  80 lb. rod  or  higher  must  be  like....kind  of  reminds  me  of  quint  in  jaws  pouring water  on  drags...farmer  56  out  ....  also  swami805   i  paid  close  attention to  your  standup  rod  specs.  would  these  specs. apply  to  the   20  #  and  30  #  class  reels  also  ,  or  are  they  too  wimpy  to  justify  your  regs.     on  my  lami  northern  pike  slayer  i  had  the  butt  section  made  8 in.  long...  that  way  when  fighting  norman ,  butt  is  resting  in  my  60  year  old  gut ,  works  perfect  for  me  sitting  in  back  seat  in  a  tiller  operated boat...  one  leg  on  tiller  steering  ,  rod  butt  in gut , one  arm  holding  rod  ,  one  arm  cranking.....   one  of  my  sons  working  net....still  maintaining   boat  control  for  2nd.  son  casting  another  Dr.  spoon  or  Len  thompson.....i  bet  we  are  a  site  at  times...farmer out

oc1

The BT stands for Boat and Trolling.  If you want a casting rod for 1 to 1.5 oz then look at something like MB 841 E, a 7' Honey Fiberglass Light Saltwater and Live Bait rod for 1 to 1.5 oz lure and 10 to 25# line.
-steve

Keta

Quote from: farmer56 on March 09, 2018, 08:33:37 PM
Dave....  thanks ,    but  what   class  #  would  you  classify  them      farmer  out

My Lami rods fish best at the top end of the rating, I would guess they are a 30 and a 40 class blanks.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

farmer56

keta  thank you....   im  starting  to  assemble  saltwater  boat  rods....my  7 ft. ,  1/2  - 1 1/2  oz.  lami  glass rod    i thought  would  work  for  light  work  ,  its  landed  25 lb.  pike  with  no  sweat    ...  i  thought  i  would  call  that  my  20 lb.  class  rod..  then  i   thought  the  lami.  15-30 lb.  would  be  my  30  lb.  class,  and  then  the  lami. 20-40  lb.  would  be  my  40 lb.  class  rod.....as  you  can  see  i  love  fiberglass....

happyhooker

Quote from: farmer56 on March 10, 2018, 12:13:22 AM
...  butt  is  resting  in  my  60  year  old  gut ,  works  perfect  for  me  sitting  in  back  seat  in  a  tiller  operated boat...  one  leg  on  tiller  steering  ,  rod  butt  in gut , one  arm  holding  rod  ,  one  arm  cranking.....   one  of  my  sons  working  net....still  maintaining   boat  control  for  2nd.  son  casting  another  Dr.  spoon  or  Len  thompson.....i  bet  we  are  a  site  at  times...farmer out

I think I saw you guys out on the water--almost called the DNR or cops--couldn't tell if you were wrestling, fighting, fishing or all 3 at once.

Frank

happyhooker

Quote from: farmer56 on March 10, 2018, 03:47:50 AM
....as  you  can  see  i  love  fiberglass....

Fiberglass is alive & well; partial to it myself as a vintage gear user; even today, there is a specialized fly fishing site devoted to fiberglass rods and some of the big bass boys are rethinking 'glass too, just to name a couple areas of interest.

Frank

Swami805

That post was really for heavy stand up gear. I like a longer butt section on light conventionals for better casting leverage and putting the butt end under my arm pit for reeling. In your'e case see if you can replicate how you'd be positioned when fighting a fish and what seems comfortable. You might want to use a deck hand style handle (cork tape, cord or something) and use the clamp on the reel. That way you can adjust the reel after a few outings and get it the way you like it.
Do what you can with that you have where you are