April first opener... gear? here come the new guy questions

Started by rogan, March 14, 2018, 03:03:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogan

As promised, here are some questions   and thanks in advance for the help!

I've been reading through the old posts and finding some info about what gear you guys like to use for rock and ling cod. Since none of my gear is a direct match, i thought 'd ask for a little guidance.  I think I'm pretty good on reels and terminal tackle like shrimp flies and swimbaits, but where I'm lacking is info on rods.

I know Bryan likes abu reels and I have some in the sizes he mentions, but they  are not spooled with braid, so I'm gonna bring a penn 965 with 30lb braid and a 975 with 40lb braid as a close approximation.  Matching rods are ugly stik tiger lites in 6'6" 12-30lb and 7' 14-40lb, too light or will these work fo the shallows stuff 65' and under?

For deeper stuff, I've gotta pro gear 251 with 50lb braid, or a 2500 pacifica with 65lb.  (I saw that BT has a new "secret" weapon, his new Tsunami.)  Possible rod to match up would be an okuma battlecat 7'6"(it's my big catfish rod) rated  for 15-60lb mono and 1-8 ozs.  I've been casting it in the park with a 6oz sinker using the 2500 and I'm afraid to really load up on the rod cause I dont wanna hit anyone on the other side of the park!!! A light to medium cast is hitting 55-60 yards. But I don't need casting on the boat, so the soft tip that's great for slinging the big lead might be too soft for bottom bouncing 16 ozs of lead...

I don't have a swimbait rod, what do you guys recommend for general specs? wanting to use it with the big 6, 8 and 10oz jigheads I'm bringing

I have two other rod options, but not sure if they fit this application.  Loomis pelagic series 7' 30-50 line, it was a local find at a pretty good price.  Last option is a seeker classic 670 7' in 30lb rating, heavy fiberglass rod.

Besides rods, I'm also not sure how much gear to bring on the boat.  I know the basics from the Landing's webpage, but are you guys using soft tackle bags? How big?

Last question for now, footwear?

Thanks

bhale1

I have limited to little experience in saltwater compared to the people that will shortly chime in! But, that being said, I have allot of fishing under my belt. I have Calstars, United Composites, Daiwas and a Phoenix.....but also a few Tiger Lites...for the money they are awesome!!!! For limited inshore fishing for rockfish and ling's I think you'll be fine...like I said more experienced people should help out soon.....but,you cant go wrong with the ol' Ugly Sicks for the $$$
Brett

Big Tim

Rods N Reels? All you need is 6'6" to 7' #30/40  stuff with 300yrd. + line capacity ... We will be fishing 200-300ft. deep & using 8oz. to 16oz. iron. Alan will say a 7/0 hook with 16oz. sinker and whole squid is all you need, and he may be right. I fish jigs, someimes jigs only & win the Golden Carp  ;D But somtimes win the money  ;D You can easily go with lighter tackle, but the with depth and currents you want at least one heavier rod.

#secretweapons

BT

rogan

Brett, i know some people hate ugly stiks, but i don't. They are basic rods, but have done well for me in the past. Simple, inexpensive and mostly indestructable, sometimes thats all i need in a rod. Other times, i get a little snotty and want a fine tuned stick that perfectly matches the application. I'm glad there are choices.

BT, Thanks for the advice, it helps. I know I'm the new guy, but i don't wanna look like the new guy😁

thorhammer

Rogan, it sounds like you are equipped for probably 90 % of any fishing someone will ever do short of large pelagics. I have a lot of fancy stuff, but the Ugly def has its place. I have at least a dozen, and for their price new guides can be economically wrapped on if ever needed. I think with braid to a pound of lead, you will have enough sensitivity. A lingcod bite is hardly as subtle as an 8" trout based on my very limited experience (one trip with Alan where they creamed rockfish on the way up). 

John

Gfish

Love my Ugly Sticks, good blend of quality and economy. If ya do getta chance to fish in less than ~80 ft. depths latter in the season, for rockfish/lings./cabezon, etc., a bass/trout rig, say 10-20lb., is alotta fun. Usin 1-2 oz. jigs on a spinning reel is a nice, easy on the arms, finesse-type of way to get 'em. Until, a course,you hook that 5+ lb. linger, then it's "challenging" fun.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

pjstevko

I think your heavier Ugly Stick, Okuma Battlecat and the Seeker will be fine for this trip. What you need to remember is that there is no overhead casting allowed so don't be too worried about overloading the rods. I don't think you need a specific rod just for swimbaits as the rods you have will do fine....but if you want an excuse to buy new gear who am I to tell you no  ;D

My reels have either 50 or 65# braid with 30/40# topshots/leaders.
The rods I use are as follows:

Tsunami Airwave Elite Braid Select Rod 6'6", 50-130# line, 2-8oz lure rating (http://www.srmo.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=T101508)

Shimano Trevala Jigging Rod 6'6", 50-100# line, 110-240g lure rating
(https://www.tackledirect.com/shimano-trevala-jigging-spinning-rods.html)

St Croix Mojo Jig Rod 5'8", 80-200# line, 275-400g lure rating
(https://www.tackledirect.com/st-croix-mojo-jig-rods.html)

These are just what I use and there are 100's of options....If you want to try out any of my rigs during the trip feel free.....

PJ

thorhammer

Quote from: pjstevko on March 14, 2018, 03:08:56 PM
I think your heavier Ugly Stick, Okuma Battlecat and the Seeker will be fine for this trip. What you need to remember is that there is no overhead casting allowed so don't be too worried about overloading the rods. I don't think you need a specific rod just for swimbaits as the rods you have will do fine....but if you want an excuse to buy new gear who am I to tell you no  ;D

My reels have either 50 or 65# braid with 30/40# topshots/leaders.
The rods I use are as follows:

Tsunami Airwave Elite Braid Select Rod 6'6", 50-130# line, 2-8oz lure rating (http://www.srmo.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=T101508)

Shimano Trevala Jigging Rod 6'6", 50-100# line, 110-240g lure rating

PJ did you put the mother-of-pearl Jiggy 501 on the purple Mojo. I have a 7'8" Mojo. nice rod.
(https://www.tackledirect.com/shimano-trevala-jigging-spinning-rods.html)

St Croix Mojo Jig Rod 5'8", 80-200# line, 275-400g lure rating
(https://www.tackledirect.com/st-croix-mojo-jig-rods.html)

These are just what I use and there are 100's of options....If you want to try out any of my rigs during the trip feel free.....

PJ

Big Tim

Really the best advice any of us could give you, is don't go overboard. Just keep it simple.
;D  ;D  ;D
BT

pjstevko

Quote from: Big Tim on March 14, 2018, 03:52:04 PM
Really the best advice any of us could give you, is don't go overboard. Just keep it simple.
;D  ;D  ;D
BT

EXACTLY ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Realistically you could show up with no rod or reel and still have plenty of gear to use/borrow......this group tends to over prepare!!!

rogan

Guys, thanks for all the responses. I think i'll be ok based on your feedback.

Quote from: pjstevko on March 14, 2018, 04:01:42 PM
Quote from: Big Tim on March 14, 2018, 03:52:04 PM
;D  ;D  ;D
BT

EXACTLY ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Realistically you could show up with no rod or reel and still have plenty of gear to use/borrow......this group tends to over prepare!!!

PJ, i do the same thing, looks like i'll be in good company

pjstevko

Footwear......

You can get away with a pair of old sneakers or hiking boots but be prepared for the possibility of wet, slimy and bloody shoes.

A lot of people wear deck hand style boots (something like https://www.xtratuf.com/)

If you're gonna go buy the really cheap kind from Walmart do yourself a favor and buy good inserts for them....

Big Tim

Quote from: pjstevko on March 15, 2018, 11:17:20 PM
Footwear......

You can get away with a pair of old sneakers or hiking boots but be prepared for the possibility of wet, slimy and bloody shoes.

A lot of people wear deck hand style boots (something like https://www.xtratuf.com/)

If you're gonna go buy the really cheap kind from Walmart do yourself a favor and buy good inserts for them....

PJ I got these...Sweet & I have bad feet

https://www.xtratuf.com/xtratuf-performance-rubber-ankle-deck-boot-xt.html

theswimmer

Rogan you might think these guys are exaggerating but it is not uncommon to see Big Tim or Alan get on the boat
with 4 + setups. There will be plenty of gear.
Tackle , I have been known to go both ways using an old school hard box or a multi tray soft case or both😎
I have seen guys get on the boat with just a plastic grocery bay half full of stuff and do quite well.

Of course Alan will tell you,

"All you need is some #7 shrimp flies , assorted weight lead, some leader material and whole squid. Done."

Maybe hard to admit but I think all of us have caught very big fish using this method , even us big jig fans.

As for the big Uglies , I will almost always bring  an 8' Ugly spinner with a Dam Quick Super just cause I can😁
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

Keta

Quote from: Big Tim on March 16, 2018, 06:08:26 AM
PJ I got these...Sweet & I have bad feet

https://www.xtratuf.com/xtratuf-performance-rubber-ankle-deck-boot-xt.html

When I was deckhand I'd occasionally accidently fill those with water when washing the deck.   My current pair of Xtratuf boots have been cut down to that height and it's time for a new pair.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain