Scierra Track 1 Fly Reel

Started by Tiddlerbasher, March 15, 2018, 03:21:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiddlerbasher

Hi Guys - This is a very simple reel that performs really well if given some attention.
I currently use a couple of these in #3/4 and #7/9 sizes.
Out of the box it works ok, but the drag can be improved - made much smoother.
I also fly fish for sea bass and mullet so a good coating of marine grease is very important.

We are going to strip and clean the reel - replace original drag (gasket type material) with a greased cf drag washer - re-grease and re-assemble.
Spool removed - arb and drag assembly exposed.

E clip removed (no fly zone warning ;)) giving access to the internal drag parts and arb

Remove screw from drag knob (left hand thread) remove drag knob (righ hand thread), clicker, plate and transmission pins (push rods).
Not much grease here but some.

Drag knob and components greased for assembly

Transmission pins and clicker fitted - eared drag washer, cf and drag cover/plate greased (teflon based marine grease throughout).

Drag assembled, arb and E clip fitted - all greased.

Spool bearing and spindle sleeve greased.

Back to where we started :)

This is a budget reel that performs well above its modest price.
Fitting the cf drag transforms the performance of this fly reel. It is now silky smooth with no start-up 'snatch'
I would be happy to use 2 or 3lb tippet with this reel. It has a curved almost 'U' shaped spool which allows for a lot of backing.
I have used much more expensive fly reels but this gem ticks all my boxes ;)

Trying to photograph something that is basically all black is not without prblems ;D

happyhooker

Looks like a winner; thanks for the post.

Frank

theswimmer

TD ,
Were can we buy this reel?
Nice tutorial ,hard to photo all black for sure.
Best,
JT
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

STRIPER LOU

Nice write up Chris! Pics look fine too. She ready for a workout, and, slay the beast now!!!

............Regard's,  ..  Lou

Tiddlerbasher

Lou - the 3/4 weight version had a workout last year - no monsters but a decent 4lb rainbow from a Hampshire chalk stream  water :)

Tiddlerbasher

The 7/9 weight reel will get a workout soon (when the sun is on my back ;D)

JT - as far as I know these are a Scierra US reel (probably PRC :-\) that are available pretty much anywhere.
For the price I'm quite impressed.

I, hopefully, will give one a GOOD workout on bonefish in the Maldives next year - my wife is currently arranging the fishing trip, I mean holiday, yes :D

Having used a Hardy, Orvis, Battenkill, Wychwood, Greys etc - these cheap, very light weight, capable reels have impressed me.
I've just purchased an Orvis Helios 3D (8 weight) - This reel and a WF8 line balance the oufit beautifully :) It just feels right in the hand.
I've got a trout fishing trip planned for this May - 10lb plus Browns and Rainbows are possible 8) If that doesn't happen I'm sure looking forward to the Maldives ;D ;D

theswimmer

Thanks Chris , looks like a great reel for the money.
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

jurelometer

Yay!!!   Fly reels!!!

Double bonus points for including a schematic.

Thanks for the nice tutorial.   A nice simple design.

One question:   It looks like the one way bearing is pretty exposed to water entry, so I understand why you need to grease it for salt water use  (the rollers in one way bearings have to be heat-hardened,  so even the stainless rollers are not very corrosion resistant).    But since greasing the one-way bearing compromises  the ability for the rollers to jam and unjam,  I was wondering if you are happy with it so far,  and what type of drag settings you use.

Tiddlerbasher

J - I understand what you are saying - I have concerns about the reel if tested to distruction - but it's cheap and if I wreck it so what. I have yet to test the drag under extreme conditions but I will give it a test sometime before my Maldives trip - I am assuming it will need some palming (to aid the drag) in the salt :-\  I have read some reviews on salt  ready reels that weren't very complimentary - considering some cost $200 to $500 :o The most dissapointing thing was the lack of drag - VERY few managed more than 6/7lb of drag - only a couple broke the 10lb barrier. I suppose if you consider the strength of a fly rod do you actually need that much drag :-\
I will be doing some tests (on a couple of reels) but not on the rods - far too expensive ;D

I have worked out a fairly simple way to fit multiple discs/washers in a couple of reels - which can really improve the drag (I just don't know if the rest of the reel/rod can take it ???)
I'll have to work on that one.

As regards my Maldives trip I'm not expecting monsters so my standard gear will probably suffice :-\

Kamajan999

Nice reel! Just ordered one.
Whick diameter is ghe cf disc you used?

What do you think about using pure teflon sheet as disc material?

Tiddlerbasher

cf disc should be 22mm diameter (I used 20mm because that is the size of punch I have) 8mm i.d and .5mm thick (.7mm might be ok). Teflon is very 'slippery' and doesn't posess the drag coefficient of cf - it does, however, provide a very smooth drag. Greased cf is both smooth and more powerful. For a small fly reel teflon may be fine - you don't need much drag for a 3lb tippet ;) ;D

Kamajan999

Thanks for the info! I ordered a cf sheet on ebay so as soon as it arrives its time to mess around  ;D

Donnyboat

Thanks for posting this Chris, very interesting, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Kamajan999

I actually tried teflonsheet/disc for fun and omg its soo smooth. I grew up with Danielsson/Loop original with handbreaking only, this is awesome, its not very powerful at all, but for me salmon and seatrout fishing here in Sweden I dont really need power but smoothness.

Lovely thread that inspired me! Thanks :)

Kamajan999

Do you know what material the original disc is made of? It felt like some kind of paper with plastic in it.