Gear corrosion

Started by bhale1, March 26, 2018, 06:34:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George6308

Doesn't anybody use Penn reel cleaner?

grekim

Quote from: sdlehr on March 28, 2018, 12:19:26 PM
Quote from: grekim on March 28, 2018, 10:56:05 AMStrange to think that SG and vinegar might neutralize each other to some extent if you got the proportions just right.  But, then they might lose their individual effeciveness.   It is all a mystery.
The only reason vinegar is useful is because it is a dilute solution of acetic acid. If you neutralize that it's as effective as water. There's no mystery, it's all science.

Simple Green didn't do that to that gear. How can you explain that only a small portion of a large gear was affected? That gear was damaged by something else.

I degrease with either mineral spirits or lacquer thinner and use vinegar straight up with no problems. If I need more cleaning power I use Dawn Dish Soap. I routinely soak overnight, but not in Simple Green. I wouldn't advise leaving metal in SG for more than a few minutes. It's fine on chrome and brass, not good for Aluminum.

I was sort of joking....I teach high school chem :)   You can google the MSDS for SG.  It's non-toxic, but made partly from an ether.  I would be more comfortable with it than most of the solvents mentioned here.

Educating fish on every trip

sdlehr

Quote from: Gfish on March 28, 2018, 03:08:11 PM
What's the Simple Green gonna be doing to ya once it's vapors are breathed in, or possibly absorbed through the skin? Ph 9.5 sounds pretty -alkaline- caustic. Wonder what else is in there.
Just don't soak yourself in it. As Grekim said, it's not very toxic. Intact skin forms a very effective barrier. pH 9.5 isn't that high.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

thorhammer

I use Penn reel cleaner for final wipedown of rods and reels. You need something a bit more aggressive for old cruddy grease and general internal reel funk (GIRF!!!!!....I like it). Very likely the difference in corrosion being much worse on the smaller gear vs. main is due to being somewhat different alloy, which in the presence of ionized material, the salty GIRF, makes the smaller gear (because of electronegative potential, not size) basically a sacrificial anode like on a boat motor. So its damaged more, and once the compromised metal is exposed further to pH of Simple Green, all she wrote...

Note, brass gears and especially marine bronze rarely if ever are eaten up electrolytically as such...electrical potential is much closer to inert.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Gfish on March 28, 2018, 03:08:11 PM
What's the Simple Green gonna be doing to ya once it's vapors are breathed in, or possibly absorbed through the skin? Ph 9.5 sounds pretty -alkaline- caustic. Wonder what else is in there.
Its so safe you could almost drink it. Don't blame Simple Green it the parts disintegrate while soaking.
I soak my parts overnight and been doing it for a while now with no issues., but I do not own any cast aluminum gears.
I also do not mix, I'll soak brass and chromed parts separately.
https://simplegreen.com/downloads/SDS_EN-US_SimpleGreenAllPurposeCleaner.pdf

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

oc1

A surfactant to wet out the surface, an oil emulsifier, a sequesterant to tie up something-or-another, a strong base to jack up the pH, a weak acid to neutralize some of the alkali, something to kill microbes, something to give it color and smell.  I'm so confused.
-steve

sdlehr

I think the citric acid and sodium citrate are to buffer the pH and the sodium carbonate is to adjust that pH up. Haven't the time right now to investigate the other ingredients.
Sid Lehr

Alto Mare

All needed information is available on line, no need to get too deep into it. Its just a matter of someone taking the time to read it or let someone else do it for them ;D

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

sdlehr

Sal, depends on one's "needs". Do you "need" to use the stuff to clean a reel, or do you "need" to know what's in it and what does each thing do?
Sid Lehr

thorhammer

I just need it to clean parts...i do reels at night to take my mind off formulas, which I do all day....

foakes

Sid has a point —

Some folks thrive on the details of how something works, or is made of. 

Others not as much.

Personally, I am thrilled and impressed by the various engineering aspects of our reels — and do study those things.  Likely bore most of you guys to death with my observations.

When it comes to cleaning though, I just need it to do its job with safety for our home, and effectiveness for the project with no harm to parts.  Must be a capable, effective, and easy to use within a system — type cleaner.

So I am not at the point where I need to know how to build a watch — just need to know what time it is.

Everyone has their own demand & comfort level — and different reasons for working on reels.

Just IMO.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mo65

Quote from: oc1 on March 29, 2018, 07:00:26 AM
A surfactant to wet out the surface, an oil emulsifier, a sequesterant to tie up something-or-another, a strong base to jack up the pH, a weak acid to neutralize some of the alkali, something to kill microbes, something to give it color and smell.  I'm so confused.
-steve

I hear ya Steve...sometimes I overdose on the details too...if my small mind could just hold all this info I stuff into it! :D
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Shark Hunter

I am a believer in Simple Green.
I have taken a Senator completely apart and soaked everything in one bucket for 24 to 48 hours with no ill effects. It cleans up Corrosion on Chrome plated brass pretty good, There are no aluminum parts in these old reels.
Life is Good!

thorhammer

i buy it by the gallon and any non-aluminum reel goes in it. 50/50 overnight does indeed clean up some chrome. i'm on the fence to either buy a sonicator or come back down to earth and cut way back on the doing of reels...

Shark Hunter

I bought me one of them Sonicators last year. I haven't used it yet. ::)
Life is Good!