Opening day weekend shenanigans and trip report!

Started by pjstevko, March 30, 2018, 07:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Quote from: Fishy247 on April 03, 2018, 11:35:22 PM
Hey guys, it was awesome getting to meet you all finally! Insane fishing trip...great fishing, HUGE fish, good boat and crew, excellent company...all around great time.  ;D Thanks for including me in the fun and I look forward to doing it all again soon!

-Mike

My sentiments exactly Mike!

David Hall

It was a most excellent trip all around, great company at the house and fantastic fishing. 
  Of course being honored with the Golden Carp was just the icing on the cake.

bhale1

rogan

Well, I made it home. Long haul on the return trip as I had to stop and get a couple errands done on the way. Just shy of 1300 miles round trip.  I'm bringing a friend next time!

It was great to meet you all. Thanks for showing the new guy how its done. Looking forward to the next trip.

mikeysm

The fishing with all it's tangles turned out to be a great day. My 4TN worked flawlessly with a tilefish rod. Everyone was great and lots of laughs.

Mike

Gman_WC

Quote from: Aiala on April 03, 2018, 04:00:58 PM
Quote from: Gman_WC on April 03, 2018, 03:56:29 PM
Now....when do the tuna get here?  ;D -Gary

The early birds are already here; 1.5-day boats out of San Diego are getting into BFTs...  8)
~A~

Sorry, I should have said "get to the North Coast."
They always seem to be in SoCal.
-gary
Walnut Creek, CA

scrinch

Looks like you had a great trip!  Wish I could have come, but I was celebrating 33 years of marriage up on the Mendocino coast. The wind was blowing about 20 kts up there on Sunday! We were watching for whales, but we couldn't see them for all the whitecaps.

pjstevko

It was a great weekend with good friends (both new and old), amazing food and solid fishing!

Fishy247

QuoteWell, I made it home. Long haul on the return trip as I had to stop and get a couple errands done on the way. Just shy of 1300 miles round trip.  I'm bringing a friend next time!

It was great to meet you all. Thanks for showing the new guy how its done. Looking forward to the next trip.

So how did you do on the mud marlin on Monday?

-Mike

Donnyboat

Great report thanks for showing us, you have to expect some tangles when your fishing that close together, best to remove all the rigs & swivels, then untangle, at, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

rogan

Mike, I had trouble finding a spot to fish in the bay. Not a lot of shore to work with and I wasn't sure where fishing is allowed.  The best spot was in the state park, but not sure if it's legal to fish there since it's not posted either way.  So I opted to fish on the south side of the Rock, on the short beach near the jetty.  Got one pick up, but he dropped it, I think he was too small for the bait.  Tried the south T-pier for an hour at dusk, but nothing was happening and by then I was wore out! So I called it quits...
Next time I might try a kayak so I can get to the far side of bay and have lots of shoreline to work with.
You do any good?

Fishy247

No love for me either Rich. At least you got a pickup! I only gave it about an hour or so during the incoming. I bailed for home a little after noon. Really cool bit of coastline there though. I'm definitely going to make a concerted effort to get back down there and do some beach fishing again! I talked to my buddy that has spent some time there while salmon fishing and he said that the North side of the rock is pretty dang good for perch and rockfish. Everything just pushes down the beach into that corner there and gets stacked up.

I'll hit up him up about spots for rays and sharks down there. He loves fishing them up in Elkhorn slough near Moss Landing, up my way.

Next time you are coming out here, hit me up!

-Mike

Big Tim

Next time you get over to Morro Bay you should try Montana de Oro for yaks and low tide rock hopping. (check out youtube vids)

Tim

Decker

Great trip!  Thanks for sharing!   We're still trying to get past winter back East.

mikeysm

The rock cod I caught made great fish tacos. Mighty fine table fare to eat.

Mike