A Few Vintage Rods

Started by Alto Mare, July 24, 2011, 12:41:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blktwr2660

Hey,Alto,It's me 8) and I just wanted to say those FENWICKS ;D were ment to be fished,thats their destiny.If ever you wanted to make room in your rod locker,I would be more than happy :D to give them a new home(have some Swordfish I would like to introduce them too ;D)E-mail if your interested.
Not from around here,Just fishing and doing time on planet earth.

Alto Mare

Sorry mate, they're eye candy only "as Bryan would say". Take care, Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Fishead

Those brown fenwicks are really nice,haven't seen one in many years,especially in that good shape.Those 4 footed mildrums were a real pain in the #### to wrap & really didn't roll that well to begin with & when salt caked on them during use,they didn't roll much at all.Granted they were designed in the days of dacron line so maybe the dacron got a better grip on them than mono did.I have 2 of the white 30lb fenwicks with aluminum butts but neither one are in the shape yours are.Very Nice !!
If you're not fishing,you're wishing you were!!

Alto Mare

Thanks Fishead, glad you enjoyed them. From what I hear, yes you're right about the Mildrum guides being a pain to wrap, but, they were very durable, I have seen AFTCO guides like the ones on the 3 Fenlight, to the right of the brown ones, bent all out of shape, I doubt that you will ever see that happen to one of the Mildrum guides. I have a few of the same rods in used condition and the rollers feel the same as these new ones. It's like everything else, they require a little maintenance every now and then, the roller guides are very easy to take apart for cleaning and oiling, I think that the salt caked from neglect ( lazy fisherman). These ones that you see in the picture are brand new, never used, the pictures don't do them justice, these rods look sweet. Take care, Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Tile on July 24, 2011, 09:08:42 PM
Nice rods. Show 'em with reels mounted  :).

OK Tile here are a couple: Penn Senator 9/0 on a Fin Nor, 12/0 on a Fenwick, 14/0 on a Fenwick and a 16/0 on a St Croix, enjoy!

Norcal Pescador

Hey Sal,

Do you have secret cameras installed so you can see us drool?  :D  :D
Verrrryyy nice! I think you and Dom ought to put your collections together for one big photo spread.  ;)

Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

redsetta

That's epic, Sal - what a line up!
Thanks for sharing.
All the best, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Dominick

Very cool Sal:  I say this as I wipe the drool off of my chin ;).  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

George4741

Very impressive, Sal.  Thank you for showing them off.  I never tire of seeing old school gear. 

BTW
If I may ask, do you know when Fenwick and Penn quit making those white rods?  I have one of each, although my Fenwick is not nearly as nice as yours.  It has definitely been used.

George

viurem lliures o morirem

Alto Mare

Thanks guys, glad you enjoyed  them. George, the only thing I'm able to tell you on the Fenwick/Fenglass is that one of my new set came with a lifetime warranty card, and the date is 1984. I do know that after the 90's they where made in China, like everything else. I'm going to guess that the fenglass that was made in USA was in production from the 70's to 90's. About the Penn, I don't know the model you have, if you have the tuna stick, I think that it was in production untill 2005. The tuna stick is an excellent rod that will stand up to anything. After 2005 graphite composition was introduced, stay away from those, I heard of a few busting. Take care, Sal

Harry

Another killa droolin session right now ;) sweet stuff there mate!

Any idea why the 12/0s dont have the picture on the sideplate or is it that i just havent seen one yet?

Harry

George4741

Sal, thanks for the info.
George
viurem lliures o morirem

Alto Mare

Quote from: Harry on August 30, 2011, 03:26:06 AM
Another killa droolin session right now ;) sweet stuff there mate!

Any idea why the 12/0s dont have the picture on the sideplate or is it that i just havent seen one yet?

Harry

Hello Harry, I don't have any idea why the later models 10/0 and 12/0 have no etching on them.
Some say that Penn was trying to save on expenses, I didn't believe it, but anything is possible.
The earlier models Senators 10/0 and 12/0 did come with etching. I think Penn stopped producing them around the mid 50's, in my opinion, the etching on those models was much sweeter that other models. Sal

Tile

Didn't had much time lately because I was on a fishing trip in the Danube Delta. Also the reels look awesome mounted on the rods.
In solid fiberglass we trust

Alto Mare

How did you make out Tile? Any pictures?