A Few Vintage Rods

Started by Alto Mare, July 24, 2011, 12:41:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tile

It turned out ok and I will open a new topic and post some pics :)
In solid fiberglass we trust

blktwr2660

Alto,all i have to say is OUTSTANDING! AND THANK YOU(The offer still stands,reels and all) 8)
Not from around here,Just fishing and doing time on planet earth.

MauiWes

Absolutely spectacular! Great job with the care you've taken with these rods!

redsetta

QuoteAbsolutely spectacular!
True - and here's another of Sal's many contributions ;) ;D
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=2937.0
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

fishgrain

sweet rods Sal - classic fenwick and penn right up my alley.

fishgrain

this was one of my favorite - 30 class 6' 10" harnell.

Alto Mare

You got some cool stuff Grob. I think I remember seeing those in one of my penn catalog from the 60's.
Thanks for sharing.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

fishhead69

Awesome fishing rods. The Fenwick rods with the brown colored blank, Mildrum guides and straight butt are just like the one used in the movie Jaws. They are too nice to fish with.

fishgrain

the butts were really nice - they took heavy use but only showed lite wear. and everything on the blanks so solid. made to last for a very long time.

thorhammer

Wow harnell in that shape is a prize indeed. 

oc1

Back in the day shark fishing off the beach we would only use Mildrum guides because they had the clearance to pass a splice in 150# Ashaway nylon braid.  Needed the big nylon braid to stand up to sand abrasion and it was often spliced to Dacron backing to reduce the overall stretch.  The splice knot would get stuck in an Aftco guide.  However, if you looked closely Aftco guides were made better with closer tolerances and a nice finish.  The rollers were said to be better metal too.  The Mildrums required a lot of maintenance because blowing sand particles would get under the rollers and if a roller stuck the line would cut a groove.
-steve

Alto Mare

Good information Steve. Do you have any photos from the good old days?

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

sdlehr

Quote from: Alto Mare on August 10, 2011, 10:57:33 AM
the trick is to purchase one at a time and sneak one more in when the wife isn't looking

I've started to resort to this type of creativity.... ;D ;D ;D

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

LamiTime

Damm nice collection
Any chance you have a Fenwick LB1206