An Old Skool 3/0 Hot Rod

Started by mo65, April 02, 2018, 01:15:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darin Crofton

What a cool little reel you built, Mike, inspiring work to say the least!
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

mo65

Quote from: Darin Crofton on July 05, 2019, 10:13:27 PM
What a cool little reel you built.

It's a misunderstood reel too at times. Compared to a Jigmaster...yes...it's slow. But for what I intend to do with it, it couldn't be better. River fishing is so shallow the slow speed isn't painful like when Saltwater bottom fishing. Looking at this reel from a catfishing point of view is much different. Another popular cat reel, the Ambassadeur 5000, has a 3.5:1 gear ratio. Makes the 3/0's 2.25:1 sound mighty slow.
   Now put things into perspective. The Ambassadeur 5000 pulls 18.5 inches per turn. The 3/0's much larger spool pulls 17 inches per turn. :o The #5-66 main and #13-49 pinion in the 3/0 are massive...way stronger that the Ambassadeur's drive train. And the drag power difference...no need to even go over that...hee hee!
   So for shallow water fishing the ol' Moonshiner 3/0 is nearly perfect for trophy class Blue/Flathead catfishing. I'll still go with that tiny 5000 for 5-15lb. channels though. Thanks for the kind words fellows.8)

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Gfish

How about the "Mo-jo Moonshiner"! Looks like one strong reel Mo.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

mo65

Just an update on the painted spool...it still looks like it was painted yesterday. No chipping or corrosion at all. This is still one of my favorite creations. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~