2062 Hop Up Video

Started by mo65, April 02, 2018, 03:24:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

You may have seen this guy's vids on DAM Quick customizing...this time he breathes new life into the classic little Shakespeare. 8)

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Reel 224

It's a good video, there's a lot to be said about having the right equipment and the knowledge to do the machine work. I have some knowledge but the equipment is out of reach.

Thanks for post this Mike.

Joe   
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Midway Tommy

Interesting process. The only advantage I see of the instant anti-reverse function, though, is for those people that slam a hookset home with their cranking hand off the handle and before taking up the little bit of slack, or movement, between the teeth on the ratchet gear.  ::) I was taught to set the "sharp" hook with a nice steady sweeping motion, not a big ol' "jerk their head off" yank.   ;)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

festus

Nice looking modified reel.  There are plenty of banged up, scuffed and scratched Shakespeares out there for plenty of these projects, but I like the originals in pristine shape better.  In the comment section after the video somebody asked how much would he sell one of those for.  He said $250.         

Midway Tommy

Quote from: festus on April 04, 2018, 10:32:52 PM
In the comment section after the video somebody asked how much would he sell one of those for.  He said $250.         

Holy Cow!  :o  Good luck with that!  ::) I thought the finish looked like crap. I hate that orange peel look.  :P
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

basto

Quote from: Midway Tommy on April 02, 2018, 07:43:13 PM
Interesting process. The only advantage I see of the instant anti-reverse function, though, is for those people that slam a hookset home with their cranking hand off the handle and before taking up the little bit of slack, or movement, between the teeth on the ratchet gear.  ::) I was taught to set the "sharp" hook with a nice steady sweeping motion, not a big ol' "jerk their head off" yank.   ;)

Hi Tommy
Yes, I think the only advantage of a one way roller bearing for the anti reverse is if you are using the reel for jigging with med to heavy metal jigs.
I have a Daiwa Catalina which has a huge roller bearing, but it is a purpose built jigging reel.
I think jigging is the most brutal thing you can do to a dog and ratchet system.
It amuses me how some people will not own a reel that does not have instant anti reverse these days.
cheers
Basto
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

mo65

Quote from: basto on April 05, 2018, 12:12:48 AM
Quote from: Midway Tommy on April 02, 2018, 07:43:13 PM
The only advantage I see of the instant anti-reverse function, though, is for those people that slam a hookset home with their cranking hand off the handle and before taking up the little bit of slack, or movement, between the teeth on the ratchet gear. 

It amuses me how some people will not own a reel that does not have instant anti reverse these days.

I just plain prefer the feel of instant anti-reverse. It's a damn shame they are so unreliable, I've never had one fail, but lots of others have. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

oc1

I with Joe.  The guys got talent and nice toys to boot.  

I don't really have an anti-reverse preference.  Bearings are quiet, easy to assemble but hard to clean.  Dogs are loud, hard to assemble but easy to clean.  On the rare occasion that I use a spinner it is usually an old one with the anti-reverse dog turned off.

Notice he put grease on the gears and oil on the drag.

-steve