Hot rod drag in another YTS for jigging

Started by gstours, April 03, 2018, 04:10:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

Here is my second time building one of these yellow little reels.  As the guts from a penn 113h interchange it gives us a lot more options.  Stainless parts are now fairly available.  A very good reel in a small package.
    The steel factory penn gear is used in a Keta insert again.  By using my own custom cut hex cf washers I was able to get 6 again in the insert as posted with the earlier "ugly duckling 🐥 narrow penn posted.
   The .025 titanium washers are very strong.  See what you think 🤔.   Here's the reel and my "ugly roller tip rod".  Testing the final load.  I,m 😀 pleased with these inserts.   I would like a couple more if they were to surface somewhere.   This is a good option if you're wanting more drag and can DIY.   Thanks.

gstours

The drag seemed very smooth throughout the pullout testing.  I tried to burn it in a little to seat things first by using my power line winder and making the cranking wear in the gears and disks burden down to reality first.
    This is the second static lead test,  yes fifty pounds.   That's more than I will ever need or try on a fish of course butt it's a max test.  Star was tight.   I don't like the factory ⭐️ star it came with and would give it to anybody who pays the postage.  Now I need to build a Sal Star,  before I can go fishing 🎣.

Tiddlerbasher

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

swill88

gstours

Thanks and yes it's better than hoped for in a project.  Every thing I've learnt basically has come from this forum.  Thanks to all .   😍. 🌅. I'm planning on a fishing test soon.   With pictures, 😏

gstours

The drag star ⭐️ was spoken for, so that worked.    And for anybody's information the spectra removed from a Tiagra12 reel is the same capacity as the YTS as it filled it fine.
   Here is another good option for a quality wax( sticky) for coating the bottom of the spool and sides.   👍. It can be used for tapping and grinding metal parts.   Great for keeping the grinding disks from plugging.  And on rotary burrs-  very easy to use.    Available at a welding supply store.    Just saying.

gstours

Here's the picture of the product.  First picture did not send?   🤦‍♀️  This is a good product.  Only drawback is it's industrial size.  Maybe split one tube with some other fishing buddies?   👋

gstours

These are the titanium  keyed washers that are used in the insert.  The insert is worth doing if you can find one.  Adams insert kit is the best for the average person and very high quality for the price.👍

broschro

doradoben

gstours

Thanks 🙏 yes the reel project is a 454 👋.  It of course is using penn 113h gear,bridge,yoke,jack plate, etc guts.
   The frame and spool are pg 454 YTS.  The insert is from Keta  and was a gift from Sal as was the gear sleeve, dogs, and delrin washers.  This is a very good small reel,  with great horse power.🤓

gstours

Here is the prototype used last year.   Ive got it in the house for a tear down and inspection.  It was fished hard last year for Halibut mostly.
   I will post some pictures as progress and changes are made.   Fiss Honn! :D

gstours

Another approach to an insert is shown below.  I made this a couple of years ago and it works well.  It's another home made solution.  It's just a piece of the past.   Lee cut the washers of some sheet titanium and the rest is my homework.   Notice 8cf washers.  The insert is tig tacked on top of the steel gear.   Very strong.

gstours

Notice also the overall length of the modified hex gear.  The Pro Gear seems to have more room in the gearside end plate.  Butt I'm not exactly sure as it was too tall (rubbed) in a couple of other test reels I tried.
   It can be always shortened butt I wanted to see what would happen?