Harnell rod

Started by Squirmypug, July 24, 2011, 10:03:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norcal Pescador

Ellis,
The Albright is good knot to join monofilaments (fluorocarbon is a mono ;D) to braid. There is another knot with a smaller profile, the Bob Sands Knot. You find it with a Google search. It's a little more complex, but with practice it may work for you. The hollow braids are nice for a seamless joint to mono, but when the bite is wide open and you need to re-tie, you can always tie an Albright or Sands faster than the "Chinese finger trap". I only have hollow on my Penn Int'l 50, all of the rest have solid.
One big advantage to using braid on your smaller reels is the braid will cut through the kelp and the no-stretch factor is nice if you have a lot of line out. Shock absorbing mono is the other side of the coin. :-\ 
One other issue is using your reels on the east coast after your Excel trip with all of that braid on them is respooling with mono and the $$ involved there.
I'm sending you a PM.
Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Ellis Feibush

Hi Rob,

This is the second time I have tried to respond to your message. Something's happening on this website. It timed out due to "connectivity" issues. Thanks again for your response. I hear you re the cost of re-spooling when I get back but I guess that's part of the game. I will have to look up and try that Sands knot. Just learned from a good, old friend and tackle shop owner I frequent on this coast. After major heart surgery where they apparently used Super Glue to keep parts of his heart and stitching together (and it's still together after many years) he applies Super glue to his Albright knots after they're tied. Good idea I think. Again, thanks for taking the time to respond.

Ellis

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Squirmypug

Thanks for posting those for me Alan.i thought some of the guys here would like to see the spoofer reel seat.
I'm not talkin' 'bout pleasure boatin' or day sailin'. I'm talkin' 'bout workin' for a livin'. I'm talkin' 'bout sharkin'!

blktwr2660

Hi, Guys me again 8).Been awhile,I know :P.Have to chime in on this one.Great looking rod ;).The reel seat is what we used to call a dropped reel seat, Making cracking line in easier(Think Ladies :-*).But it never caught on ;).Still very rare,worth serious coin to a collector :-X.(ps) About a year ago I posted a thread about HARNELL rods fetching BIG BUCKS :P,Well get a load of this ;),just returned from a estate sale where most of the items was outdoor/marine etc. ;).A HARNELL 80 lb.troller with Mildrum side saddle rollers and a VARMAC aliumium butt,BRAND NEW :D,never used in its storage bag :P.Sold for $1,100 :o.So you guys that have orignal HARNELLS  :-* no matter how weird ??? be forwarned.
Not from around here,Just fishing and doing time on planet earth.

Squirmypug

$1100 for a harnell? If someone wanted to give me that much for mine i would have to sell it  ;D
I'm not talkin' 'bout pleasure boatin' or day sailin'. I'm talkin' 'bout workin' for a livin'. I'm talkin' 'bout sharkin'!

skered53

I think mine is a 205, the Avet is on it and it's my Chinnok rod,  used on achor in the Columbia river to keep 20 oz on the bottom while wobbler fishing , also will be used in the ocean to troll cut plug herring, also with 12 to 20 oz of weight.  Any Idea what th eline rating is < she is 1 pieces  and about 8 to 9 feet.  I 'll have to measure it. Plenty of backbone and a soft tip.  It's going fishing tomorrow !

saltydog

I have two 8 footers and a 10 footer I used to use when I lived in California a long time ago,glad I hung on to them .They still fish with me when I go on my long trips every year.I can't believe they have gone up so much in price over the years.But like was said earlier the blanks of these rods make them great for live baiting or throwing iron.Don't foresee me getting rid of them though cause I haven't found anything new even comparable in a blank.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

skered53

Got another Chinook last Thursday, he was only 15 lb.s,     Any Idea what a 205 is rated for ? 15 to 40 # ??

UKChris

I have just posted a note in the other Harnell thread asking about whether they are still in business. I mention that I have two of these Harnell Royal trolling rods - the 80lb Royal V and the Unlimited Royal VII. I had no idea they are that sought after! I'm rich  :D

But, the blanks are great. I've cleaned both, leaving all the original fittings, knocks and scratches in place, rewhipped in dark green over the original light green with yellow trim and varnished with copal/valspar yacht varnish not hi-build epoxy. They look great.

Chris

Alto Mare

Hello Chris, any pictures?
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

UKChris

Well, I'll try. I think my phone takes OK pictures and then I 'll work out how to post them. But don't hold your breath as I'm away for a few days and 'under orders' to finish decorating the kitchen at the weekend!

Chris

lawaia

Good reading and great info on this thread; takes me back in time.  I have a matched pair of model 2550 Harnell 50# class, 7-foot trolling rods complete with white grip, Varmac reel seats, and hardwood butt.  They were the first pair of trolling rods I ever bought, back in the mid-70's.  Got them from Buster at his old Waipahu Bicycle store, here on Oahu.  They're fine rods and caught a few fish with them before moving up in weight class.  Being a sentimental old fool ;), I kept them as kind of heirlooms to show the g-kids one day ::).  But hey, if someone were to offer anywhere near $1100 for them, I'd force myself to show the g-kids photos instead of the actual rods! :o  Can't remember what I paid for them back in the day, but for sure it was nowhere near $1100!