Trinidad vs Torium

Started by AP, July 25, 2011, 04:32:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AP

I just joined this morning. After reading the site for the last couple days I would just like to say that I have been inspired to learn more and take a much more technical interest in my gear. Thank you for the site Alan.

So this is a question for anyone who cares to comment. I have only been fishing a couple years now and am without a doubt addicted. I have been fishing Shimano Toriums and have been very pleased. I am thinking about upgrading to Trinidads after fishing one reasently, they just feel great.

Do you think that upgrading from Torium to Trinidad is worth it? or should I just upgrade my Toriums with mods and services (as descibed in many other posts) ?   

Dominick

AP:  I do not have any experience with these reels, but welcome aboard.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

alantani

yes and no.  by the time i am finished hotrodding a trinidad, the cast control mechanisms are disabled and you basically have a gold torium.  basically, is the gold color worth the extra money?  that would be the only issue.  

welcome!!!!!!  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

AP

Alan, would you be able to put togeather a " hotrod " kit for my Toriums (14,16,20,30) or should I call Smoth Drag?

alantani

i can, but first call shimano at 877-677-0600 and see if they have the dog and spring combos (tgt 1303 and 1304). if they do, get three sets for the 16, 20 and 30.  there is no upgrade for the 14.  from shimano, also get six (two per reel) spool shaft spacers (tgt 0769) to replace the "BR" gear.  if they do, then call dawn and as for the drag washers.

if shimano doesn't have the washers, dogs and springs, then send me a pm with your address and i and send them out to you.  if you wish, i can send you the washers and grease at the same time.  alan

AP

I got all the parts ordered from Shimano and Smooth Drag (I ordered shaft bearings also) thanks Alan.
I plan on degreasing the spool bearings and oiling with ReelX. What do you degrease with? Should the new shaft bearing and clutch bearing also be degreased and oiled or greased with Yamaha blue?
Thanks, Alan

CapeFish

Quote from: alantani on July 25, 2011, 04:57:25 PM
i can, but first call shimano at 877-677-0600 and see if they have the dog and spring combos (tgt 1303 and 1304). if they do, get three sets for the 16, 20 and 30.  there is no upgrade for the 14.  from shimano, also get six (two per reel) spool shaft spacers (tgt 0769) to replace the "BR" gear.  if they do, then call dawn and as for the drag washers.

if shimano doesn't have the washers, dogs and springs, then send me a pm with your address and i and send them out to you.  if you wish, i can send you the washers and grease at the same time.  alan

HI Alan, what is the BR Gear you refer to and the spacers you replace it with? Thanks

@ AP you can also replace the drive shaft bush with the Trinidad equivalent bearing. The bush has a habit of corroding and getting stuck to the frame and also wearing the drive shaft

alantani

it disables the cast control mechanism allowing for better freespool.  also, you should have a bearing on the right side of the spool, not a bushing. the earlier calcutta's had bushings.......

AP

Trinidad, has the cast control system (ie... BR gear) and shaft bearing

Torium, has no cast control and has a shaft bushing (that I am replacing with a Trinidad bearing) 

AP

I plan on degreasing the spool bearings and oiling with ReelX. What do you degrease with? Should the new shaft bearing and clutch bearing also be degreased and oiled or greased with Yamaha blue?
Thanks, Alan

Norcal Pescador

Welcome to the reel addicts' corner. ;D
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

AP

Quote from: AP on July 26, 2011, 03:45:00 PM
Thanks, Alan

Never mind, I found the posts on bearings and lubes... this site is great!

Irish Jigger

Hi Alan and welcome aboard. Stick with the Torium as AT says. I have a Trinidad TN16 and just bought a Torium 20. The only difference I notice is that the TN16 handle feels much better than the softer "lumpy" Torium handle.

alantani

one trinidad does stand out in my mind, though.  it's the trinidad 16 narrow.  very sweet looking reels!