Rocking the crappie reel

Started by MolBasser, April 17, 2018, 04:12:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MolBasser

All,

I just got a President 20  It is bitty, but I want it to have the wet carbon drags of its big brothers just for fun sake.

I'll be cracking it open this weekend, anyone work on Presidents?

MolBasser

MolBasser

It is spooled with 10# PE braid and 4# mono topshot.

I'll be looking for a pound of drag on this reel.

MolBasser

mo65

Hi MolBasser,
   I don't mean to spoil any fun you'll have working on your President 20, but in all honesty, drag settings of only a few pounds or less can successfully use just about any type washer material and produce a good, smooth drag. Leather will chatter at high settings, and Teflon will squish out at high settings, but they work just as good as carbon fiber at these light settings. Be that as it may...I'll admit some of my ulralights have been converted to greased carbon fiber...it's just fun! Enjoy your reel! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

MolBasser

Oh yeah man, it is all for giggles.  The stock drag would most likely be fine.  But if you can make it "better" then it is worth the time and fun to bust the reel open and fiddle with it.....

MolBasser

xjchad

Sounds fun!
Looking forward to seeing your progress!
Husband, Father, Fisherman

MolBasser

And that is a nice blue in your sig, yo.

MolBasser

mo65

Quote from: MolBasser on April 17, 2018, 05:11:53 PM
The stock drag would most likely be fine.  But if you can make it "better" then it is worth the time and fun to bust the reel open and fiddle with it.....

Absolutely! I forgot one exception, using these tiny spinning reels for duty beyond what they were intended. Like fishing them for hybrid stripers in the river. A 5-10lb. hybrid can literally smoke the drag. That is where a greased carbon fiber upgrade will really shine. And ya never know...out there catching crappies and BAM...time to hang on!
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

MolBasser

Right.... Sometimes a big ole cat jumps the jig when your crappie fishing and it is game on!!!

MolBasser

steelfish

yay,, a sized 20 reel, dang buddy thats really tiny

and I though my trion gx7 40 was tiny  ;D ;D ;D
The Baja Guy

Tightlines667

I once caught a Musky on a crappie jig, Pflueger 20 spooled w/4lb Berkley Triline, mounted on a 4.5' Fenwick ultralight.  I was catching spawning Crappies in a shallow creek, and a big 'old Musky followed my jig up and grabbed it gingerly, hooking him lightly in the outer lip.  I just kept slowly lifting him up to the surface, and slowly reached down under him with my arm.  I picked him up out of the water, unhooked him, and sat him back in, all w/o a fight.  Musky's can act really strange at times, but I have actually caught several over the years w/o experiencing much of a fight from the fish.  If you just back the pressure way off and guide them in like a dog on a leash, sometimes they just swim right to the boat w/o a fight.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

MolBasser

Wow dude, that is a cool story. I wish we had pike style fish in California (well we did due to illegal imports, but that is a different story)....

It would be interesting to just ease up a 30# musky to the boat..... lol.

MolBasser

Swami805

Where you going crappie fishing? Cachuma?
Do what you can with that you have where you are

MolBasser

Yeah, cachuma and lopez

Molbasser

xjchad

Where are you located?
There's supposed to be good crappie fishing in Piru also.
Husband, Father, Fisherman

MolBasser