One of the better places to acquire antique / collectible tackle

Started by SilverRidge, April 18, 2018, 04:01:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SilverRidge

I'm not much interested in going to lawn, garage, backyard sales, $1 sales, my wife and friends enjoy looking through other people's trash or treasures as she calls it,  I always tell her if she sees any interesting fishing tackle to call and if I feel it's worthwhile I'll comedown and look at it. Well lo and behold she's at a table sale at one of the condominiums and there she finds the dam quick Sw68, she said the seller said it works fine, knew it was old and you probably couldn't get parts for it anymore, (he don't know does he) my wife knows the function of a spinnng reel and advises me it turns " very smoothly" she offered the guy $2.00, just so he felt he was a better bargainer than her he said he thought $4 would be fair, well you know the ladies in our lives, told him I'll split it with you and offered $3 which he took ...what a woman !!! That's why I married her an expert fishing tackle appraiser, I got it all don't I ...
Point of all this is you never know what at these sales, I'm sure you all have found something you wanted at these functions, people don't or some know the value of what they are selling, there are some shrewd people out there selling from tables be it at garage sales or flea market, you just gotta get a good feel for them and be careful , but good, very good deals like the one my little lady got are pretty prevelant at these sales ....

Good luck !!!

Midway Tommy

Your wife did you well! That's where I find my best deals. The majority of those type sellers have no clue what they have in hand. I seldom find a deal at antique stores anymore since they all use the net to come up with a value, and then double or triple it.  ::)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Bill B

Without the ladies we would be lost or at least miss out on a lot of tackle.. Recently my wife was at a flea market and found 7 Penn's and a Diawa all $5 each.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Gfish

My wife bought a book: "Everything is Negotiable" and has never looked back. She'll get on the phone with big corp. customer service reps., start doin her song & dance and actually succeed!?!
Still waitin for the vintage reel score initiated and transacted by her... I did get a coffee bean roaster bargin at the flea market once 'cause she was a "cute little lady, with a sweet voice". Glad I was there for that one, who knows how far guys'll go when I'm not...

Anyone ever tempted to go all moral/ethical and tell the sellers about the real worth of the tackle they'er sellin? Just a question, no needa go all "you're a $ fool" philosophical 'bout it.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

David Hall

Yep my wife it the negotiator in our house also.  I saw this firsthand when out ovens electronic control board went out and I was willing to accept 1500 from the insurance folks with Sears and she drew the line and insisted on full replacement including installation.  She won!  She got a double oven just like she had with features
SHe could call the oven on her phone and turn it on and off.  A feature she will never use because she has no need for. Bit just sayin I woulda been happy with the 1500 the. Shelled out another 1500 to get her an oven.
Gotta say it took her three months to get it done and it was pretty miserable around my house during that time.
At least that's what the kids and grandkids tell me, right in the middle of this Alan posted a want add for someone to go fishing in Mexico with, she was happy to be rid of me for a few days and then when I got back  I spent a lot of time at work, folks thought I was turning into a company man I almost lived there.

happyhooker

Gfish, I hear ya; my wife is not above playing the "female" card & I gotta admit that she's good at it & it works more often than I maybe can understand. As far as telling a seller the "true value" of something, I have been tempted many times for about 2 seconds, then tell myself to forget it and I don't lose any sleep over that.  Nobody's forcing anybody to sell anything.  Now, if I ran across something where an 8-year old kid looked like s/he was trying to sell mom or dad's gear for a few dollars, my conscience would probably be tested.

Frank

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Gfish on April 18, 2018, 09:48:08 PM
Anyone ever tempted to go all moral/ethical and tell the sellers about the real worth of the tackle they'er sellin? Just a question, no needa go all "you're a $ fool" philosophical 'bout it.

Knowledge is the key to most things in life. If you have it you are usually protected, if you don't it's no ones fault but your own.

With that said, if someone has something for sale with a price on it I'm sure not going to tell them it's too low, but I will absolutely let them know if it's too high. Now, if I'm trying to buy something that's not really for sale I'll always let the person know what it should actually be valued at.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

happyhooker

To state the obvious: women work differently than men.  In a transactional situation, men too often find it one where the machismo doesn't let one guy want to give in to another.  With a man v. woman, sometimes the guy doesn't want to "lose" to the woman, but it also can be that the guy feels flattered by the female & wants to reciprocate, with an end result that the woman gets a better deal than a guy buyer would have.

Frank

SilverRidge

Tommy I know what you mean regarding pricing, I've seen items ridiculously high and ridiculously low in good conscious I'll the inform the person what the going price should be, what the market will bear, exhibit -a at a garage sale this fella had a  spyderco knife, made in Japan in good condition, being a sportsman I'd take it for a reasonable price and add it to my knife inventory, ask the fella how much He would take for it and he said " give me $5.00 and it's yours " I could have taken it for 5 bucks but everytime I looked at it I would have that feeling the I stole the knife from him, informed him I recently saw the knife on the Internet for $90 and I wouldn't feel right at that price, and it was worth much more than his asking price, finally he agreed very very happily I may add for $20 he's satisfied, I'm happy I just couldn't walkway with a clear conscious  at the original pricing, told hm if he is unsure of price on sporting goods check the net, place is a pricing manual for everything in existence ....