"Old School" rod for Penn 49?

Started by pjstevko, April 19, 2018, 04:02:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjstevko

I decided I'm gonna start using my fathers old 49 for local (Morro Bay) lingcod/rockcod fishing and I need suggestions on a old school rod to pair with it....

The reel is currently on its way to Alan's for an inspection, cleaning, repairs (if needed), spool install and line spooling....The plan is to keep it looking stock on the outside, except for a power handle, so I'd like an older rod to keep the esthetics...

What old school classic CA rod would you recommend?

Thanks

PJ

thorhammer

Sabre, honey lamiglas, or honey Calstar.

pjstevko

Quote from: thorhammer on April 19, 2018, 04:06:19 PM
Sabre, honey lamiglas, or honey Calstar.

Which models for Sabre and Calstar?

thorhammer

I wish I had enough of them for that info, PJ. Don't own a Calstar but fished Alan's. He may know.

Swami805

By all means talk to Randy at VOT. He's got a bunch of vintage rods that would be perfect for that reel. I've seen them and some very nice period correct rods from several makers. They fish Great too
Do what you can with that you have where you are

thorhammer

Great call. i forget you guys have Randy up close and personal.

MarkT

30#? How about a 670? 40#? How about a 665h or 6465h?
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Swami805

I have a 8' truline octagon that I restored to factory down to the decal. Would be a good match for that reel. Pm me for details if you're interested. Normally I wouldn't sell it without knowing it was going to a home.

Swami805

I fished it once on the endeavor and it works perfect for lingcod

droppedit

Quote from: Swami805 on April 19, 2018, 10:12:25 PM

nice!
Some days the supply of available curse words is insufficient to meet my demands.

http://www.turnerscustomrods.com

54bullseye

Quote from: droppedit on April 19, 2018, 11:12:33 PM
Quote from: Swami805 on April 19, 2018, 10:12:25 PM

nice!
Dave show him a picture of your big Cod !!    John Taylor

SoCalAngler

I was going to say Truline. That 8'er would be good as a wall hanger or not fished too often, the octagon rods had issues. Also if you are looking at a Sabre and you want a old school rod don't get a Penn Sabre

Don't forget Seeker's line of rods like the Classic in honey color and older Kencor's but for rods more older look for Harnell, Roddy Rods and Gary Loomis (Loomis Rods). Loomis is still around and owned by Shimano now so you will need it find a older rod.

Happy hunting.

SoCalAngler

Quote from: MarkT on April 19, 2018, 08:36:49 PM
30#? How about a 670? 40#? How about a 665h or 6465h?

Also for 40 lb a 6470, yeah it is a 7 footer but that blank is not made anymore so you know it is a little older. For 30 lb I like a 870 for live bait and the 970 which is a bit stiffer on the tip may be better for bottom fishing. I have a 970 in the black blanks that I like and still fish. I got the 970 because I like to really pull on fish, it will not load up as well as the 870 on medium to small baits but that really should not matter in bottom fishing. I also have another rod that's 8' for 30 lb test which is a newer blank and used for smaller live bait and surface iron but will not fit what the OP is looking for.

SoCalAngler

Oh I almost forgot if a California rod built in the 80's is old enough for you look for a GUSA (Graphite USA). Most people will not let these rods go unless their getting out of fishing, so they will be harder to find.

droppedit

PJ, Offshore in New England the old Lamiglas HBT96S was the go to choice for cod fisherman. This was an extremely light rod but looked like a telephone pole. It is a thin walled blank with a number 28 top and a 1" butt, still it has a slow action that will bend all the way back to the handle. I love these! Lamiglas quit making these a number of years ago but the rod can be duplicated. It was made off the same pattern and mandrel as the SB136-3M. This is an 11'-4" blank and can be cut to the desired action. I still use these for making jigging rods and keep the cut to either a 26 or 28 tip then go 8' back. I still fish with my HBT96S and have pulled both the old and new rods without being able to tell the difference. The 49 was a popular reel to be matched on that rod, seen many of them. I use a Progear 3500 on mine with braid but the true classic way to fish it would be with dacron ;)
Hope this helps.

Dave
Some days the supply of available curse words is insufficient to meet my demands.

http://www.turnerscustomrods.com