A Local Legend

Started by Maxed Out, April 23, 2018, 04:23:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maxed Out

This past weekend was our local sportmans show. This event was cancelled several years ago, but recently revived by our local fishing club.

I wasn't able to attend this year, but in a way I was there every day.

Huge posters were posted up all over the PNW advertising the show. For myself, the highlight of the whole weekend had nothing to do with the show itself, but the posters they made for the event.

The picture on the poster says it all. My best buddy Woody and his 242# halibut he caught on my boat. Could not have happened to a more deserving guy. Woody donates a lot of time towards local fishing events for kids and is well known and loved for his dedication to inspiring the next generation of fishers.

Any 100+ halibut is rare in Washington waters, where statewide average halibut weighs just 19#. We ran 65 miles on the water to get to where we fished and boy did it pay off big time.

I don't have a poster yet, but found full page ad in NW sportsmans magazine that is a copy of the posters they spread around the Seattle area.

It was a fun day that I remember well
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Army_of_One

Congrats to both of you!  I bet he slept with that smile on his face for weeks.
Another day in Paradise!

Dominick

The only thing better than having someone catch a giant is if it had hit your rod.  Congratulations to you both.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Reel 224

That is a great story Ted. You are something yourself. ;) ;D

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Tightlines667

Wow!

Congulations to the both of you?

Any idea what the WA state record is?  Probably a long-standing one from the good ol' days I presume?

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

David Hall

Well done, I know there's a few big ones here I just don't know how to find them.

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Way to put your friend on the fish of a lifetime Ted!

swill88

Impressive.  Way to go Ted. Now, what was that waypoint?

steve

Maxed Out

Very funny Steve. You know I've heard that a lot...

No waypoint, but I always know where I'm at according to the bottom structure, so there is no waypoint for where the big butt was landed. It's been 5 years and I could go right back to same spot with just the bottom contours on my screen

Washington state record is like 350+ or something like that
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Tightlines667

Quote from: Maxed Out on April 24, 2018, 02:38:04 AM
Very funny Steve. You know I've heard that a lot...

No waypoint, but I always know where I'm at according to the bottom structure, so there is no waypoint for where the big butt was landed. It's been 5 years and I could go right back to same spot with just the bottom contours on my screen

Washington state record is like 350+ or something like that

Had to Google it quick...

288lb in September 2009.  

That fish was only 46lbs short of setting a new record.

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Swami805

Nice Ted, Must be something to look over the rail when you first see a fish like that. Sounds like a heck of a guy who caught too. Way to go putting him on it.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

mo65

Awesome stuff Ted...way to go! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

gstours

Well done,  and deserving.  thanks for the poster too!  I,m glad your friend got a one in a lifetime fish.  He,ll likely go again?
        The picture shows the trophy fish was eating pretty good by the balloon in her tummy.    And your snack was just one more bight!
thanks forsharing.    ;D