I'm selling rod guide wrappers...

Started by The Fishing Hobby, April 24, 2018, 11:36:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

akadashoe

Gotcha.
I use something similar that I came up with for my Alps machine.
It's a home brew, ugly, but it will hold 5 spools, can be reversed 5 turns using a stainless steel wire, and has multiple eye screws which allow wrapping very close to the tip, which you guys know can be frustrating!!
I use nylon flat washers to bind the spools, which also act like a drag washer on the spools.
I've tried the magnets, but now use them to pick up metal parts I drop on the floor.
I prefer the carriage to be located behind the rod, which gives me more room to maneuver.
Here's another little helper I came up with to support the tip.
It's a simple bracket with a hole drilled in it and a spool bearing from a Squidder reel epoxied in.
It will hold up to about a size 12 tip, and keeps that tip very stable!
Happy wrapping guys!

Reel 224

Nice home made lathe. One question about the Thread Shuttle, I noticed the it is between the rod stands. Do you move it between the stands?

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

akadashoe

Correct Joe.
I just relocate the the stands as I go down the blank.
A little bit more cumbersome than having the shuttle on the opposite side, but it works for me!

Steve

Reel 224

Steve: I have found that what works best for you is the most important thing.................................Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

The Fishing Hobby

Seems like with a little drilling, you could change which side of the base is toward the user. Seems like it would be possible to locate the thread shuttle side of the base behind the rod and just redrill the mounting bolts holes for the headstock on the opposite end of the base. Then you could mount the carriage behind the rod and it still wouldn't interfere with the rod supports. Any reason why you couldn't do that?

Reel 224

Quote from: The Fishing Hobby on September 01, 2018, 10:52:44 PM
Seems like with a little drilling, you could change which side of the base is toward the user. Seems like it would be possible to locate the thread shuttle side of the base behind the rod and just redrill the mounting bolts holes for the headstock on the opposite end of the base. Then you could mount the carriage behind the rod and it still wouldn't interfere with the rod supports. Any reason why you couldn't do that?

If I understand you correctly. You would have to reverse the wrapping lathe to do that, but I do not see the advantage to do that, from my perspective. I like the shuttle in-front of the work it does not hamper the work in any way.

Joe 

akadashoe

Good idea, but I think you would have to rotate the whole assembly 180 degrees, as the track for the shuttle wheels is on the inboard side of the bed only.
That would require a whole new learning curve.
(if the mfg. were really sharp, they would supply a track on both sides)
I'm not a lefty, but I still have issues doing things right...... ;D

akadashoe

Quote from: Reel 224 on September 01, 2018, 11:35:34 PM
Quote from: The Fishing Hobby on September 01, 2018, 10:52:44 PM

If I understand you correctly. You would have to reverse the wrapping lathe to do that, but I do not see the advantage to do that, from my perspective. I like the shuttle in-front of the work it does not hamper the work in any way.

Joe 

You must have been posting while I was typing Joe!   :D

Reel 224

Quote from: akadashoe on September 01, 2018, 11:40:13 PM
Good idea, but I think you would have to rotate the whole assembly 180 degrees, as the track for the shuttle wheels is on the inboard side of the bed only.
That would require a whole new learning curve.
(if the mfg. were really sharp, they would supply a track on both sides)
I'm not a lefty, but I still have issues doing things right...... ;D

Ranzetti solved that problem with elevating the track so as to run the shuttle arm under the platform. That is better but much more expensive.

Joe