My first DAM Quick high speed retrieve spinner--the 331

Started by festus, April 30, 2018, 08:10:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

Braid will work great on that reel...I have Power Pro on my 221...I still like it as well as any braid. You might want to use 30 or 40lb., that 20lb. is might thin, more suited to the 110. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

festus

30 lb braid @ equiv 8 lb dia mono would be max, I need something that will throw an ounce and a half at least 70 yards. 

handyandy

I do believe the metal finessa spools fit on the 221/220. If you have the cork filler pieces for the spool you could use those so you have to use so much line to fill the spool. Braid would be fine on it especially with the metal spool. If you need a metal spool let me know I have a few, and actually just got a 331 as well was going to run a metal spool on it as well.

foakes

The metal Finessa spools work fine on the 330/331 — but are too big for the 220/221.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Rivverrat

Quote from: festus on May 02, 2018, 12:42:49 AM

Question:
The metal spool from my old Finessa 285 will fit this reel.  Would it be safe to use 20 lb braid, and which brand would be the toughest?

There is not much that is tough regarding braid. Braid going straight over a rock or log does very well better than mono in some cases. The issue is when braid goes across sideways to the right or left. Any tension on the line when this happens & it will come apart like right now.

I encourage people to use at least a short leader of mono vs spooling with straight braid. Although I have friends that fish often & use straight braid with few issues.

I've twice lost fish that I was able to see, one being at least a state record the other was close but not real sure. Though I'm convinced had I been using at least a 5' - 10' mono leader, both of those fish would have made it to certified scales released later by my hand... Jeff