Nick's hybrid SU-yak troller.....FINALLY!

Started by thorhammer, May 03, 2018, 11:48:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

I met Nick (Reelfishingproblem) while fishing on Alan's boat a couple years ago, and have become good friends and doing a couple deals...true AT Ohana at work. He had a LeePro 4/0 he was letting go a ways back, before Christmas, and we struck a deal to build another Thorhammer for his 20T in trade, which turned into an epic long build on my end, and my man has been incredibly patient. Due to long stretches of abnormally cold weather I couldn't get the shop in the right conditions to epoxy. I tried and the epoxy wouldn't cure to my satisfaction and I ended up fully stripping and rebuilding the rod from foregrip up. This build had a couple of new twists in it...Nick wanted a blue rod, spiral wrap (I hadn't done one before), and we talked out a hybrid design: 6'3" on the same blank I built his last one on, but in a standup configuration. Long for a SU, but easier to clear around a yak, and still comfortable if fishing on a boat. I built a balanced 10" slick butt for ease out of holder in the yak with 10" flocked foregrip instead of the usual longer SU fore, since we were going to acid wrap and that wouldn't leave the amount of blank I needed to smoothly transit to 180 degree offset. i actually added an extra transition guide vs. what you normally see on something this weight to get the line down on the axis right at the fast tip break point. Alps guides and triple coated blue emron metallic flake mist, with epoxy overcoat and two on the wraps. i think he will have a hard time not putting his Californian 4/0 on it, or CC blue YTS,  but that's his call! Enjoy, buddy!

thorhammer

Moderators, please right the last pic. Thank you.

Swami805

Very nice work, I'm sure Nick will be pleased
Do what you can with that you have where you are

thorhammer

Thank you. I think that was your Californian, because I was logging on to get one of them!

STRIPER LOU

Beautiful work John!

Love the color combo.

............Lou

mhc

You've got a lot of skill and patience John, that's a great design built to perfection.

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Swami805

Yup I believe that one was mine, nice reel, crazy good free spool on those. Kinda sorry I sold them, but that goes for pretty much all the reels i've sold.
Be interested in how that spiral wrap fishes, the ups and downs of using it. I know that style has a devoted following.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

droppedit

I think the added transition guide is a plus. It would have to be a lot smoother than just the standard 2. Nice job!

Dave
Some days the supply of available curse words is insufficient to meet my demands.

http://www.turnerscustomrods.com

ReelFishingProblems

John, that thing is perfect! More than worth the wait for a custom rod built by a friend with as many skills as you have!
I will definitely use this as both a yak rod and a stand up. It's gonna help build a lifetime of memories.
Thanks again, and I can't wait to fish it with you
Nick

Alto Mare

Well said Nick!
John, Time has no place on custom stuff as these.
You gave it your best shot and it shows... great job!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

David Hall

Wow that's a good looking setup, I'm a spiral wrap convert, until I fished one I just thought they were not for me, I just didn't like the whole idea of them.  Now after fishing one regularly I have started using them for everything.  Jon Vadney has two on his bench for me right now.  a 9'3" and a 10'6" Lamiglass salmon downrigger trolling rods.  Can't wait to see them finished.

steelfish

great build John, its nice when a friend wait pacientely for his rod, I ask the same everytime a close friend give me something to restore.

and yours looks like it worth the wait completely
The Baja Guy

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

thorhammer

Thanks guys. I'm just hand wrapping stuff and I built this dryer, tho I have another commercial one at the cabin. David, if you haven't go watch Jon work. I wish i had the time and patience to turn out stuff like he and Khan are doing. If anyone hasn't seen what it takes to do that level of rods, you should if the opportunity arises. When Alan took me to Jon's he was on one rod for 17 hours. Those kinds of guys are artists.

Nick, when you park that 20, please post up a pic of the static line deflection with a load on the rod. I have 20's, not 20T's, and the clamp studs are closer together so any scratches that seat gets will be yours :)

I want to see the geometry of the line feed off the height of the 20. I was going Alps at first, then Fuji Alconite because they are a bit taller to funnel the tall 20 profile, but went back to the Alps because the Fuji's were actually too tall to balance well on this blank in an acid configuration. And it looked funny lol.

oldmanjoe

:)   Well done     I too like the extra guide , a cleaner line flow.    joe 
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare