Kilauea getting very active on the Big Island

Started by ReelFishingProblems, May 04, 2018, 09:01:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReelFishingProblems

It looks like Pele is at it again and Kilauea is posing a significant danger to some folks in and around Puna.
Saw a video of a big crack opening up in Leilani estates.
I know we have some Ohana on the Big Island, and not sure if anyone would be in the path of potential lava flow. Hope y'all stay safe. I can't imagine the extra ash helps anyone's respiratory system either.

http://www.livescience.com/62480-lava-erupts-from-kilauea.html

Nick

wailua boy

I have friends in Leilani and they have been evacuated. We are hoping for a minimal impact so folks can get home. As if the Puna area isn't experiencing enough difficulties...

Tightlines667

I think it has been something like 30+years since a new vent was formed.  Seems this fizzure is just the beginning of a more active period, given all of the earthquakes, cracks, and rising ground.  I wouldn't be surprised if she develops a new vent somewhere.  The million dollar question is where.  I am sure USGS is keeping very busy these days.

Hopefully property damage is kept to a minimum.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

ReelFishingProblems

I hope your friends stay safe and have no property damage.
My wife's family is in Na'alehu and Ocean View. Our niece is just over one, so I can't help but think about how this will increase the vog, and how it will effect respiratory systems

wailua boy

Bill B

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Swami805

Hope everyone is safe over there, sounds like Pele is angry
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Cor

Cornelis

wailua boy

Here's some of the latest footage of Leilani.

Swami805

Do what you can with that you have where you are

ReelFishingProblems

My family and I will be at the in-laws in Naalehu the beginning of July. While Kilauea has devestated the communities in Puna, the economic hit on top of that is just not any good.

wailua boy

Heres the latest footage taken a few hours ago(6/3/18). This is footage of whats remaining of the town of Kapoho and the Kapoho tide pools. Its not looking good..

https://mobile.twitter.com/p_kealaanuhea/status/1003400870246080512

Tiddlerbasher

Oh wow - that's not looking good - stay safe brothers and siaters :(

wailua boy

bhale1

Wow.... extremely impressive and sad all at the same!!! I know its been going on for much longer than our little bit of time here, but i feel for everyone who is in the path of destruction. Stay safe over there Ohana.... sending good karma your way
Brett