Thorhammer Drum rod from a ways back, when I could see...

Started by thorhammer, May 04, 2018, 05:55:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

I had some time about 15 years ago and spun this one up. I don't have a lathe, just two V-blocks with plastic rollers, and this one I actually did in my lap....not sure i can see well enough anymore to eyeball the butt wrap layout and sure don't have the time. This one caught a lot of fish when I was down in Wilmington. With fav Newelled Squidder from that time. 

thorhammer

Reel 224

"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

thorhammer

xjchad

Wow John, what a beautiful rod!  Love the details!
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Reel 224

Quote from: thorhammer on May 04, 2018, 06:05:52 PM
Thanks Joe! How is Ruth?

Ruth is slowly getting better. It's a slow process. Thanks for asking.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Benni3

oldmanjoe

Quote from: thorhammer on May 04, 2018, 06:01:33 PM
The Striped Bass inlay is pewter
I am trying to see what you have under the bass that you inlay ed into , or burred  in clear finish ?    joe
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Decker

Nice rod, John! What is the length?  

About the large gathering guide... I have an Okuma Longitude 9ft conventional surf rod that has a similar-size first guide. It looked to me like a spinning guide, and is bigger than the guides on my other conventional surf rods.  Can you explain the logic behind that design?  

And show us some fish pictures, please ;D      

Donnyboat

Nice work John, its held up great over time, thanks for posting, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

thorhammer

multiple epoxy coats over inlay and buttwrap.

rod is 11'.

I wanted a 40mm stripper because I was going to throw a wider reel like a 140 etc.; and I have knocked out too many inserts  to count with shock leader knots going into the stripper at full force (double uni to 50-60lb mono with 6-8 oz.). If you look, all guides are oversized. Not in front of me, but but I think it was 40-25-16-16-12-12-12 tip.