need help on how to order ferrules for fishing rods

Started by steelfish, May 04, 2018, 08:26:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

yep, I have never ordered ferrules before and for my specific problem I didnt found a way to search what I need for fix one rod, just found out that normally they are ordered by 1/64 inch

let me explain, there might be a no easy solution as just order a set of ferrules as I think.
I have a old rod that got broken just after the ferrule on the upper section, the blank after all these years gave in and splitted just where the metal of the ferrule ends, thats the male section in this case.
so now I have a bottom section with a female ferrule with a ID of  24/64 (9.50mm) in good shape but the male section of the ferrule on the upper section of the rod is no bueno, I need to cut the rod just after that ferrule and find another with a OD 24/64 size male and a ID of 22/64 or maybe 23/64, so I can cut the rod, fit that new part of the blank on the new male ferrule and then hope for a nice fit on the stock old ferrule (hope to explain myself clear)

if Im doing it wrong, please school me on how to fix this rod, Im afraid that I need to cut both ferrules and find another and newer model for the rod.

the next measures are of the blank just after/before the ferrules:
the blank width on the bottom section is 25/64 OD
the blank width on upper section is 23/64 OD

the rod is an old fiberglass fenwick 8.6ft salmon rod 10-20 1oz, its pretty noddle but the owner like it that way, worst scenario but acceptable by the owner is to cut the rod enought to make it 7.4ft one piece rod, it would be cool to do it 7.2ft with a ferrule to keep it as 2pc rod.

The Baja Guy

Reel 224

Get as close as you can and if you have to either us one wrap of treed on masking tape. As far as cutting the rod I wouldn't do that, even if you can size a dowel to fit the ID it will change the action.

I did that to a boat rod and it worked out fine but it was at the for grip and didn't effect the action. I don't know if I understand you complete question but if you could take pictures of the section of the rod it would help.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

oldmanjoe

IF you can post pictures .        splits get fixed one way .      breaks get fixed another way .     joe
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

steelfish

Here are some pics.
Aa you can see just after the ferrule there is a Mark, when you bounce the rod and put your finger there you feel how the rod bite you  (the crack is kind of deep)
The Baja Guy

Reel 224

Now that's better, now I understand what you want. Simply remove the old one with heat and you can replace the pair with new Ferrules.

Try this place http://www.anglersworkshop.com/

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

steelfish

Quote from: Reel 224 on May 05, 2018, 02:29:06 AM
Now that's better, now I understand what you want. Simply remove the old one with heat and you can replace the pair with new Ferrules.

Joe

Thanks Joe
Now, with the measures I posted which one I should order ?
Kind of lost here
The Baja Guy

oldmanjoe

Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Swami805

look up Schneider rod shop, It's a little hard to navigate the site, it's pretty old but he has all kinds of ferrules. All kinds of nos old rod building parts. I try not to go on there much cause I spend too much money. He doesn't have everything but unusual hard to find stuff at remarkable low prices. check out everything and stock up on stuff you can use, you can save some serious dinero. Good luck,sounds like your on the right track
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Reel 224

Quote from: steelfish on May 05, 2018, 03:57:12 AM
Quote from: Reel 224 on May 05, 2018, 02:29:06 AM

Joe

Thanks Joe
Now, with the measures I posted which one I should order ?
Kind of lost here

Joe (oldmanjoe) has the proper address to pick out the ferrule to chose, The female part can be remove by heating it, the male part I'm not so sure. I haven't had the experience of replacing one. Maybe the other Joe could help.

Joe Reel 224

Jim Fujitani

What ever you decide to do, the action of the rod will change.

Even with your photo, I still can't tell if there is a break or a split.  But based upon your description it sounds like a crack or break at the end of the male section of the ferrule, so that is how I am approaching it.

Rather than immediately replacing the ferrule, I would unwrap and remove the male part of the ferrule first and see what I am dealing with.  If the break is right at the end of the ferrule, you might be able to repair the rod by cutting a short piece off of the broken glass from the male (upper) section.  Then fashion a short dowel insert that will extend into the upper section, glue the dowel in place in the upper section so that the upper section is a bit shorter than original length, build up the exposed dowel (wrapping thread) as required to get a good fit in the male ferrule and making sure that there is glass fitting into the ferrule.  You may also have to apply a wrap of thread onto the glass to take up some space, reset the male ferrule, and complete with wraps over the end of the male ferrule and rod varnish/epoxy.

You would be using the the short dowel into the male part of the ferrule to support the upper section of the rod.  Ferrules create a 'dead' section in the flex anyway; the dowel will just extend the dead section a little.  I broke my Dad's La Croix spinning rod while trying to land a big foul-hooked king salmon.  I had to take out a six inch piece of glass and replaced the ferrule.  The rod was practically unusable after because the flex was thrown way off.

Good luck!! Repairing older rods without physical access to an experienced rodsmith is not fun and very time- consuming.

oc1

I agree with Jim.  Before ordering anything I would pull the blank out of the male ferrule so you can get a better look at the crack.  Is it possible the blank is not cracked but just loose in the ferrule?
-steve

droppedit

Alex, I have a bunch of #30's I'll send you a couple but they are an old style heavy duty.
Let me know.

Dave
Some days the supply of available curse words is insufficient to meet my demands.

http://www.turnerscustomrods.com

steelfish

I will try to take the make section with heat , if I hot sucess the rest will be easy

The Baja Guy

steelfish

Quote from: Jim Fujitani on May 05, 2018, 05:30:48 PM

If the break is right at the end of the ferrule, you might be able to repair the rod by cutting a short piece off of the broken glass from the male (upper) section.  Then fashion a short dowel insert that will extend into the upper section.........

thanks guys (all of you), Im still learning about rod fixing and this was my 1st time dealing with a ferrule, but I think I will be able to save the rod with the quoated process, I was able to keep the male ferrule section ( I always though they were glued permanent not with the same tiptop glue), so now I will just make a cut after the crack and do whatever is needed for a tight and secure fit.

The Baja Guy

thorhammer

Alex, check the link Sheridan gave this morning to that rod building company. they have ferrules cheap in the hot deals section