Ted William `s 930

Started by oldmanjoe, May 06, 2018, 02:24:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldmanjoe

I picked up this reel when i saw   Made in USA .     I assume it is made by Shakespeare.
     It turns stiff ,the anti -reverse is not working  .    Open it up ,found the usual hard packed grease .
      Stripped it down , found the paw stuck and a little rust .
Have it soaking now .
   Some pic.
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

festus

Looks like one of the bigger Shakespeare Royal Maroons, such as the 2081A or 2091A, only a different color.  It doesn't have a removable reel foot so I'm thinking it's one of the A models.

oldmanjoe

To me it looks like a cheap version of a Dam .    I am a little surprised that there is no bushing for the main shaft . 
  Yet the cross shaft has bushings .       I assume this is a fresh water reel ?
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

festus

Quote from: oldmanjoe on May 06, 2018, 05:10:58 PM
To me it looks like a cheap version of a Dam .    I am a little surprised that there is no bushing for the main shaft . 
  Yet the cross shaft has bushings .       I assume this is a fresh water reel ?
What size is it compared to a DAM Quick, Joe?  It's not as big a Super 270 or a 550 Quick is it?

oldmanjoe

I would say it is 270 size .     Almost a copy ..

festus

I bet it's built like one of these or a size smaller.  Shakespeare 2091a.  They are good reels.

oldmanjoe

If that spool is the same size as your 550 than yes. 

I have another T W   520  made in Italy that is about the same size ,not as beef-ee .  looking for a spool for it .
Drive train looks the same .  the bail trip is different .

Midway Tommy

The 930 was made by Shakespeare and is the same reel as the 2091A. Both were made after Shakespeare cheapened their quality.

The 520 was made in Italy by Zangi and is the high speed version of the TW 510. If you can find one, a 510 spool should fit. They are high quality reels.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

oldmanjoe

Quote from: Midway Tommy on May 06, 2018, 07:24:49 PM
The 930 was made by Shakespeare and is the same reel as the 2091A. Both were made after Shakespeare cheapened their quality.

The 520 was made in Italy by Zangi and is the high speed version of the TW 510. If you can find one, a 510 spool should fit. They are high quality reels.
Thanks Tom.    Is there any other reel brand name or model that Zangi made that may shares that spool ?

Midway Tommy

Quote from: oldmanjoe on May 06, 2018, 08:10:36 PM
   Thanks Tom.    Is there any other reel brand name or model that Zangi made that may shares that spool ?

Not that I am aware of other than the Coptes 520, which sold in Europe & is quite difficult to find. Your best bet would be to watch for a beat up old 510 or 520 going for cheap $. 

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

oldmanjoe

Thanks again      joe

festus

Joe, did the Ted Williams reel have these rubber bearing shields?

oldmanjoe

Yes      I removed one side to clean out and repack the grease ,than installed with the shielded side up. 

festus

Quote from: Midway Tommy on May 06, 2018, 07:24:49 PM
Tom, what parts were cheapened on the A series of Royal Maroons?  Someone was  having problems with a cracked bushing on a 2052 spindle a few days ago.  Yesterday a 2081A was auctioned on ebay, it and a 2062 brought about 40 bucks.

Midway Tommy

Mainly the body style and handle, but they also changed the bail mechanism by eliminating the off side bail plate. The A bails just insert into the knurled cap rather than having the notched plate setup.

Tommy D (ORCA), NE