Recommebdations for Clutch bearing lube.

Started by exp2000, May 18, 2018, 01:18:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

exp2000

I use CorrosionX + TSI mix on Shimano clutch bearings.

Trouble is I have noticed it results in quite a bit of noise.

Can anyone recommend something a little quieter that still allows it to work properly?

akfish

It really shouldn't make noise. If it does, I suspect the clutch bearing is bad.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

alantani

a thicker product might help.  not sure how it would affect function.  i've only ever used TSI 321 or corrosion x. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

akfish

Won't  a thicker product -- grease or heavy oil -- cause the anti-reverse bearing to slip?
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

alantani

yeah, maybe, who knows, but that's the concern......   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

handi2

If they are noisy it's rusted. It may be the pinion bearing making the noise. I only use a tiny amount of TSI.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

exp2000

It is not a rough grinding noise due to rust or damage.

More like a whirring noise like you get from a ceiling fan. Does this on brand new and good clutches.

The Shimano Oz Techs use a tiny squirt from a spray can of Ballistol but I am loath to try that because the stuff smells like dead cockroaches!
~

Jeri

Quote from: akfish on May 18, 2018, 04:04:06 PM
It really shouldn't make noise. If it does, I suspect the clutch bearing is bad.

On all our fixed spool anti-reverse bearings - including some Shimanos, all I use is a light wipe of blue grease. Doesn't affect the action of the bearing/mechanism, and provides some protection when we wade with our reels.

Hope that helps

Cheers from sunny Africa

Jeri

exp2000

Quote from: Jeri on May 19, 2018, 08:03:52 AM
Quote from: akfish on May 18, 2018, 04:04:06 PM

On all our fixed spool anti-reverse bearings - including some Shimanos, all I use is a light wipe of blue grease. Doesn't affect the action of the bearing/mechanism, and provides some protection when we wade with our reels.

Hope that helps

Cheers from sunny Africa

Jeri

Not trying to be funny but.................

Jeri

All of the Shimanos that I have serviced, Ultegra, Stella, Saragossa, Spheros - haven't seen that notation on them.

Haven't had an issue at all.

Rivverrat

I use little grease on these bearings & have had no issues. I have kept quiet about it because it seems most here loathe the idea of doing such a thing.

Ya if you pack them with a tacky grease they wont work as intended... Jeff

exp2000

Thanks for speaking up guys. I really appreciate your input.

Firstly, the AR chamber labelled " NO GREASE" is part number RD6887 and it appears in at least half a dozen spinners.

https://www.ereplacementparts.com/roller-clutch-assembly-p-1546977.html

I am sure I have seen the odd one myself.

I would assume that most guys here are against using grease because with the odd exception, everything written on the subject whether it be by proprietary manufacturers or the Tackle companies themselves states not to use grease.

In quoting this, I believe we should be careful not to lump all roller clutch bearings together as they vary widely in design from the basic pressed Koyos used in round style baitcasters to the individual multi part creations used in Shimano Stellas and what applies to one particular type may not automatically translate to another. I have found the Stella roller clutches to be particularly sensitive to over-lubrication: even excess light oil can result in back-slipping which I guess is why you often see recommendations to run them dry.

I use a small dab of "light" CX grease on proprietary Roller Clutches myself (baitcasters). Once again this is a concession to lessen noise produced by the clutch but may also constitute a possible compromise in performance.  

However, I have not considered doing this in modular Shimano Roller Clutches but perhaps it is time for a little experimentation since the noise from these is particularly noticeable on some models when just using CX fluid only.

I am just worried about compromising performance especially given how sensitive the Stella clutches are.
~

Tiddlerbasher

For some time I have only used ordinary CX on arbs. When I have tried to use a light smear of grease they have slipped - I must add this was on baitcasters/small conventionals and some spinners. It might just be down to the actual grease used so next time I will try CorrosionX HD (and maybe some others :-\)

Rivverrat

Chris, I agree  one should test this out first. All these clutch type bearings are of course not the same animal & will respond differently to being oiled or greased... Jeff

exp2000

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on May 20, 2018, 10:34:12 AM
For some time I have only used ordinary CX on arbs. When I have tried to use a light smear of grease they have slipped - I must add this was on baitcasters/small conventionals and some spinners. It might just be down to the actual grease used so next time I will try CorrosionX HD (and maybe some others :-\)

Thanks mate.

I appreciate your efforts and look forward to hearing your results.
~