Harnell Unlimited rod question ?

Started by 54bullseye, May 19, 2018, 09:23:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

54bullseye

Hi John Taylor here and I am looking for any information or pictures of an original "not retied" Harnell Unlimited big game rod. I bought one that I think is probably retied and possibly has felt wrap added to front grip. There is thread damage so I am planning to redo the rod and would like to do it as close to original looking as possible !! From looking at the few Harnell catalogs I have I believe the rod is a # 585 Unlimited class but not 100% sure about that either. All the pictures in my catalogs are drawings not photos so hard to tell actual colors. I had never seen a Harnell rod with felt over cork grip but catalog says they made them.

Any one own an original that could send or post pictures of it for me ? Here are a few pics of mine and again not sure if it's correct or not !! It is a beast !!! Thanks ! John Taylor

I posted this on ORCA also so I hope some one can help.   Thanks    John Taylor

bill19803

i believe  that  most or all Harnells  were varnished   that   looks like  epoxy  so  would be rewrapped

54bullseye

No it must be the picture it is varnish for sure not epoxy.  John Taylor

Swami805

Beautiful rod John, it's a tough one without the decal, looks heavy enough to be.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

54bullseye

Sheridan I have 5 or 6 other 130 lb. and 117lb. Harnells and this one is much bigger diameter and way stiffer !! I am pretty sure it is an Unlimited size but I don't know any one who has one that hasn't been messed with ??   John Taylor

oc1

I can't help, but am pretty sure the fore grip has been reworked.  You might peak under the fore grip wrap and see if there is a marshmallow grip under there. If the foregrip deteriorated and had to be reworked then the guide wrapping is not deteriorated enough to be original.
-steve

theswimmer

Harnell sold alot of rods untied but with the reel seat and fore grip etc.
I have had quite a few Harnell pass through my hands , never seen one with that kind of thread work or felt fore grip.
I still have a couple of big game rods , an 80 and a 130 ,both are the traditional red and yellow thread.
I also have a couple built on what Harnell called their kit rods mentioned above. No safe queens , still catching fish.
I have a pile of old catalogs and advertisements , I'll look thru them and see if there is a good foto of an Unlimited.
Best,
JT
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

Swami805

I've seen green and yellow harnell's but not many, Could be it's kissing cousin a harrington a lot of those in green and yellow. There's no marshmallow grip under that, the size and shape is wrong. I'd bet it's a leather grip with felt of some kind  for better traction. Hard to tell from pictures but the only size bigger than a 130 is unlimited that I'm aware of. Nice one any way you slice it. 

theswimmer

I agree Sheridan. The green and yellow Harnells I have seen were more primary colors with the green thread being a much darker and deep color.
I'm betting on no marshmallow under that felt.
The hardware and butt all speak to an earlier product , maybe 1960 ish?
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

54bullseye

Quote from: theswimmer on May 20, 2018, 11:08:32 AM
Harnell sold alot of rods untied but with the reel seat and fore grip etc.
I have had quite a few Harnell pass through my hands , never seen one with that kind of thread work or felt fore grip.
I still have a couple of big game rods , an 80 and a 130 ,both are the traditional red and yellow thread.
I also have a couple built on what Harnell called their kit rods mentioned above. No safe queens , still catching fish.
I have a pile of old catalogs and advertisements , I'll look thru them and see if there is a good foto of an Unlimited.
Best,
JT

That would be great JT !!!!  There are a few holes in the felt and I would say that the grip under is either regular cork or that "sawdust "type cork used on early Harnell rods. It's not the rubbery white "marshmallow" grip mentioned by Steve earlier that is used on the later rods.  Okay I just found this in my 1954 Catalog Pics below. The description says 10' felt wrapped cork grip but the picture seems like it's just that sawdust type cork to me. It also shows Allen rollers not Mildrum like mine. Watch next post I make !!  Getting it narrowed down.   John Taylor

Swami805

The color does seem a bit off, could have faded or it was an earlier restoration and that would explain why there's no decal. Looks like it's seen some love from the pictures, pretty nice shape for a rod that old. Good to know it ended up in the right hands.

theswimmer

What I would give to walk up to a yard sale and find that box of rods!

Two other things ,I think a 585 is a 130 lb rod ,
The other thing is both the green and yellow rods I saw were fresh water rods.
They both belong to the same guy and for that matter could have been restorations.  One was a fly rod and the other was a 9 foot mooching rod that am still kicking myself for not buying on the spot.

Errol Flynn

54bullseye

Quote from: theswimmer on May 20, 2018, 01:09:27 PM
What I would give to walk up to a yard sale and find that box of rods!

Two other things ,I think a 585 is a 130 lb rod ,
The other thing is both the green and yellow rods I saw were fresh water rods.
They both belong to the same guy and for that matter could have been restorations.  One was a fly rod and the other was a 9 foot mooching rod that am still kicking myself for not buying on the spot.

The 1960 catalog clearly states last rod in line up that the 585 R was an Unlimited line class rod !   John Taylor

54bullseye

Here is what I found in the 1957 catalog  "I only have 1954, 1955, 1957 and 1960 catalogs"  This one shows the same Royal Unlimited rod only with the Mildrum rollers like mine and it also says 10" felt wrapped cork grip !! The picture in the catalog shows a darker felt than is on mine. Notice the shape of wood but in pics compared to mine it's the same and so isn't the ferrule it steps in a bit same as mine !!!! The 130 and 117 Harnells don't do that. Notice also that the catalog states just above the rod specs section " NOTE: The above rods available upon special order only." that's maybe why you don't see many of them.

theswimmer

Here are some pics of various thread work over the years.
Also no label is ok as many rods left Venice without.

Errol Flynn