Harnell Unlimited rod question ?

Started by 54bullseye, May 19, 2018, 09:23:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

54bullseye

Well this one once had a decal but this is all that's left !!  John Taylor

theswimmer

More
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

theswimmer

Ok here we go as far as what I believe are dates.
As far as I know all these rods are unrestored , a couple have had minor repairs.
The first pic is a 2580  7'2" 80 lb late production Venice.
Second is an Official Three Six 7" pier and bait rod ,Mid 50's production.
In the same pic is a 8'  7 wt fly rod from the early 70's.
Next is a 7' noodle unmarked , no label but verified as factory. Probably mid 50's.
Bottom,same pic is the 80lbr. Early 70's I think.
#4 is the butt section of the 80lb.

Next post , top is fly rod tip section with unlabeled noodle rod below, by the quality of the work on the noodle , factory , unrestored.
Second pic is the noodle above with the Official Three Six on the bottom.
#3 is a family pic.
All are unrestored , original guides and thread.
I have more just these were easy.
My garage is worse than Alan's. ::)
So there is a little sample of thread work over the years at Harnell.

There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

theswimmer

john,
I know I have a 130 lb somewhere with the same shape fore grip, I belive it was wood however.

Errol Flynn

54bullseye

Here is my stash of Harnells and it been a few years in the making ! The one with the 16/0 Senator I just got and it's a retied 117 lb rod.  The next four are original either 117s or 130s without getting specific  !  Next 5 are smaller original rods the squidder with the long butt is cool !!! The monster with the solid aluminum bent butt was a custom by Biscayne rods in Florida that one has a beautiful set of Tycoon roller guides on it and I think unfished !!! Next one with dark wood butt is something I think someone just made to look like a Harnell only paid $50 for it and guides are worth that. Then the Unlimited in question which I am pretty sure was either a blank some one put together or a redo.   John Taylor

PS you should be able to click on pics to blowem up.

theswimmer

Very nice!
I see we have the same problem.......
John is the rod in pic #2 5th from the bottom marked or labeled and if so what is the mark?
Thanks,
Jonathan

Errol Flynn

droppedit

Looks like you'll need a larger picnic table next year. It's like a museum at your house.

Dave
Some days the supply of available curse words is insufficient to meet my demands.

http://www.turnerscustomrods.com

theswimmer

In pic three , the green and yellow , 5th from the top is the color green I was talking about.

Errol Flynn

54bullseye

Quote from: theswimmer on May 20, 2018, 03:00:32 PM
Very nice!
John is the rod in pic #2 5th from the bottom marked or labeled and if so what is the mark?
Thanks,
Jonathan

Here is the label

54bullseye

Quote from: theswimmer on May 20, 2018, 03:07:17 PM
In pic three , the green and yellow , 5th from the top is the color green I was talking about.

Yeah those two green wrapped rods are Royals but notice the little yellow trim band in the middle of the under wrap they must have started that later in production because the picture in the 1954 catalog of the "Royal Family" showed just green no trim band. 

Okay I think I have figured out exactly what my rod is. Here me out then I am putting this to rest and am gonna go out and work in garden !!!

I measured my tip and overall it's 5' 3" and with the butt in place it measures 6' 10" overall.  Now the Royal rods specs claim there tips are 5' 6" which with butt in place would make overall length 7' 1" different than mine !!!  So on page 13 of the 1954 catalog they have there Kit Rods and on bottom of page last rod is a "585 K Deluxe rod kit" for size 39 to 54 thread linen. Overall length with butt is 6' 10" just the same as mine. That would explain the non factory wrap job.  I am going with that !!!! Lol !!! I will most likely have Dave rewrap it with factory colors as best as he can or possibly just leave it be !    John Taylor

54bullseye

One last thing the 1954 and 55 catalogs show rod kits the 1957 doesn't so if it is indeed a kit rod those would be approximate dates of my rod. Can't wait to peek under felt on grip.    John Taylor

54bullseye

Quote from: oc1 on May 20, 2018, 06:01:10 PM
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=22647.15

Steve both those are 130s one is original and one redone by Dave. I don't have the redone rod any more.   John

theswimmer

Quote from: 54bullseye on May 20, 2018, 03:08:41 PM
Quote from: theswimmer on May 20, 2018, 03:00:32 PM
Very nice!
Thanks,
Jonathan

Here is the label

Ohhh Very Nice.
Thats what I was looking for.
Thanks John. I have a line on repro Harnell fishes labels if you are interested......
Funny I just came in from the garden ;D

Best, JT

Errol Flynn

theswimmer

Quote from: 54bullseye on May 20, 2018, 03:55:42 PM
Quote from: theswimmer on May 20, 2018, 03:07:17 PM

Yeah those two green wrapped rods are Royals but notice the little yellow trim band in the middle of the under wrap they must have started that later in production because the picture in the 1954 catalog of the "Royal Family" showed just green no trim band.  

Okay I think I have figured out exactly what my rod is. Here me out then I am putting this to rest and am gonna go out and work in garden !!!

I measured my tip and overall it's 5' 3" and with the butt in place it measures 6' 10" overall.  Now the Royal rods specs claim there tips are 5' 6" which with butt in place would make overall length 7' 1" different than mine !!!  So on page 13 of the 1954 catalog they have there Kit Rods and on bottom of page last rod is a "585 K Deluxe rod kit" for size 39 to 54 thread linen. Overall length with butt is 6' 10" just the same as mine. That would explain the non factory wrap job.  I am going with that !!!! Lol !!! I will most likely have Dave rewrap it with factory colors as best as he can or possibly just leave it be !    John Taylor

I would take it fishing!
No safe queens at my house.

Best,
JT

Errol Flynn