Saltist 20H

Started by Scattergun2570, May 20, 2018, 05:26:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scattergun2570

Ok,so I posted a little while back about a Saltiga 20H,but it was a Saltist 20H. The casting was extremely poor...so now I have the reel in my possession and it's apart. The first thing I did was pull the spool bearing off the right side of the reel,and spun it. Sounded noisy.I dropped a few drops of TSI 321 on the bearing and let it seep in,,no more noise.My first question is,are those red pieces brake collars? And are they supposed to move? These are sliding off the silver rod they are on. Second question,,I assume I have to take apart the left side plate to get to the other spool bearing,correct..?

Bryan Young

Those red thingies are brakes. They are supposed to slide. When putting them back, if you do, the rounded side faces outwards.

Regarding the spool bearings. The left side plate bearing can be taken out easily by removing the clicker coring and bearing retention screw.

With regards to the right side Spool bearing, I believe it is held in by a clip spring and it can be removed, if I'm not mistaken.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Scattergun2570

Quote from: Bryan Young on May 20, 2018, 06:16:21 AM
Those red thingies are brakes. They are supposed to slide. When putting them back, if you do, the rounded side faces outwards.

Regarding the spool bearings. The left side plate bearing can be taken out easily by removing the clicker coring and bearing retention screw.

With regards to the right side Spool bearing, I believe it is held in by a clip spring and it can be removed, if I'm not mistaken.

I am not sure I have the correct schematic for this reel.. Do you think this is correct?

http://www.daiwa.com/us/service/manuals/image/saltwater/SASD20HA_30HA.pdf

mhc

Hi, SASD20HA-30HA looks like the Saltiga schematic to me (one piece left side plate and frame), try the attached Saltist LW20HA schematic to see if it looks like your reel, it's for the level wind version but the rest should be similar.

Mike

PS: Just found the 20H schematics on 'Mikes Reel Repair' site.

It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Scattergun2570

Quote from: mhc on May 20, 2018, 11:16:59 AM
Hi, SASD20HA-30HA looks like the Saltiga schematic to me (one piece left side plate and frame), try the attached Saltist LW20HA schematic to see if it looks like your reel, it's for the level wind version but the rest should be similar.

Mike

PS: Just found the 20H schematics on 'Mikes Reel Repair' site.

That one has a level wind,,this reel does not. I guess that's what the "LW" means.

mhc

Correct - have a look at the second schematic I posted, it is for the 20H model without a levelwind.

Mike

Scattergun2570

Quote from: Bryan Young on May 20, 2018, 06:16:21 AM

Bryan,,what did you mean when you said "if you do" ....they can be left off? What happens if I did that?

Scattergun2570

Quote from: mhc on May 20, 2018, 11:21:04 PM
Correct - have a look at the second schematic I posted, it is for the 20H model without a levelwind.

Mike

Thanks!

mhc

No problem. I can't speak for Bryan, but the brake blocks are optional. They help reduce overruns when casting by generating friction against the copper ring sitting above the clicker spring - the faster the spool spins the more centrifugal force acts on the blocks and increases the pressure on the ring. If you can control the spool without them by using your thumb, you will get a bit more casting distance.
The 20 size saltists are nice little mid priced reels, the main gear is almost the same diameter as the spool with decent sized carbon drag washers.

Mike

Scattergun2570

Quote from: mhc on May 21, 2018, 08:16:12 AM
No problem. I can't speak for Bryan, but the brake blocks are optional. They help reduce overruns when casting by generating friction against the copper ring sitting above the clicker spring - the faster the spool spins the more centrifugal force acts on the blocks and increases the pressure on the ring. If you can control the spool without them by using your thumb, you will get a bit more casting distance.
The 20 size saltists are nice little mid priced reels, the main gear is almost the same diameter as the spool with decent sized carbon drag washers.

Mike

Thanks again...that's what I was thinking. I will leave the brakes in for now. Hopefullly the noisy bearing I treated to a dose of TSI was the reason it was casing so poorly.

Scattergun2570

Quote from: mhc on May 21, 2018, 08:16:12 AM

Mike

I know this is probably a whacky question,but does anyone take one of the red brakes off?

alantani

i always take them out.  i don't think they really help at all. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

SoCalAngler

Quote from: alantani on May 22, 2018, 01:58:05 AM

X2
Since you are that deep into that reel go ahead and get the left side bearing out. It is pretty easy to do and from the pics it looks like you may be there with the click spring removed, With that removed and the sliver cover tab, I'm not sure what Daiwa calls it, you have access to the left side bearing and that can be easily gotten to. Use something to get that bearing out, I have picks to easily pry them out and if it is not to corroded you can "slap" the left side plate onto a hard surface or even sometimes into the palm of your hand to remove that bearing.

Just clean and lube that bearing as well.

Now here is a key. I don't know if someone has already been inside of that reel before you and I'm guessing you don't know either. But I have worked on several Daiwa products, a few of them mine and some for other people. The pocket where the left side bearing is there is most likely several pieces that go into that cup along with the bearing. Getting these out of sort can and will most likely slow down freespool. I have played around with this configuration several times and have always went back to the stock config finding it best.

Like I said in the other post don't for get about the pinion bearing as well. Bryan is correct there is a spring clip to get it out of the reel. Do you need to full pull it out? Maybe not but the spool shaft rides inside of the pinion gear in freespool, so cleaning the spool shaft and the inside of the pinion gear can help a lot with freespool if there issues there.

Scattergun2570

Quote from: SoCalAngler on May 22, 2018, 03:58:52 AM
Quote from: alantani on May 22, 2018, 01:58:05 AM

X2
Since you are that deep into that reel go ahead and get the left side bearing out. It is pretty easy to do and from the pics it looks like you may be there with the click spring removed, With that removed and the sliver cover tab, I'm not sure what Daiwa calls it, you have access to the left side bearing and that can be easily gotten to. Use something to get that bearing out, I have picks to easily pry them out and if it is not to corroded you can "slap" the left side plate onto a hard surface or even sometimes into the palm of your hand to remove that bearing.

Just clean and lube that bearing as well.

Now here is a key. I don't know if someone has already been inside of that reel before you and I'm guessing you don't know either. But I have worked on several Daiwa products, a few of them mine and some for other people. The pocket where the left side bearing is there is most likely several pieces that go into that cup along with the bearing. Getting these out of sort can and will most likely slow down freespool. I have played around with this configuration several times and have always went back to the stock config finding it best.

Like I said in the other post don't for get about the pinion bearing as well. Bryan is correct there is a spring clip to get it out of the reel. Do you need to full pull it out? Maybe not but the spool shaft rides inside of the pinion gear in freespool, so cleaning the spool shaft and the inside of the pinion gear can help a lot with freespool if there issues there.

The reel has only one spool bearing,other side is a bushing. The pinion bearing was making an unpleasant noise,so I dropped some TSI321 on it ,and it must have seeped in cause the noise disappeared .immediately. I never opened a bearing before,so I was too nervous to do it. Anyway,I did remove the left side bearing,and spun it to see if there was noise,but didn't hear any. This bearing didn't seem like the type that could be opened like the pinion.I dropped some TSI on that bearing as well. The original problem was it casts poorly..so I don't know if I did anything to correct it...but..I can throw it into freespool give it a flick with my finger,and get about 16 seconds of spin time. I don't know if the TSI freed up the left side bearing...cause it didn't seem like anything was wrong with it. I would think a spool tha spins 16 seconds in freespool,can't have gummed up bearings,right?

alantani

sounds like this will work! 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!