TLD star 20/40 drag washer question

Started by rippin_lips, May 27, 2018, 11:24:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rippin_lips

I added some new drag washers from smoothdrag to a TLD star 20/40. After adding the new washers, with the drag backed off there is some minor resistance when cranking. With the drag tightened down tight, everything is smooth as silk. Is this just from the new drag washers adding a little extra thickness and it will break in? Or did I put something back together wrong?

Alto Mare

It is usually your spring washers on top. you might want to double check on those.

Sal

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

rippin_lips

Quote from: Alto Mare on May 27, 2018, 11:38:33 AM
It is usually your spring washers on top. you might want to double check on those.

Sal

Thanks I double checked those, I think I had 1 that was flipped but I still think it's a small clearance issue with the new washers. The grease lines matched up to show some contact with the side plate on the top drag washer. I put everything back together double checking orientations and there is still the slightest resistance if i back the drag star way out but i dont think its any issue.

Only problem now is that when reassembling one of the small screws decided to snap right off with very little pressure.

alantani

don't worry about the small screw.  it really doesn't do much.  as for the drag stack and the extra tension, any chance there is an extra drag washer under the main gear?   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

enfish

I wouldn't worry about it too much. If you've got the spring washers oriented correctly, either the new CF washers are slightly thicker or if you greased them up, that's making everything stick together and adding just enough resistance to feel it.

Good luck with the broken screw. Hopefully it snapped off at a place when you can still grab it with vice-grips once you pull the side plate off again. If not, it's not a super critical one.

rippin_lips

Quote from: alantani on May 27, 2018, 01:29:44 PM
don't worry about the small screw.  it really doesn't do much.  as for the drag stack and the extra tension, any chance there is an extra drag washer under the main gear?   :-\

Already found the replacement screws and ordered a few they cost me next to nothing. 

No extra drag washer.  I really think the new washers just need to settle in a little. After putting it back together this time and getting everything snug its much better. With the star tightened a little bit the reel is smooth as silk.

Cor

Quote from: OnoEric on May 27, 2018, 01:36:08 PM
I wouldn't worry about it too much. If you've got the spring washers oriented correctly, either the new CF washers are slightly thicker or if you greased them up, that's making everything stick together and adding just enough resistance to feel it.

Good luck with the broken screw. Hopefully it snapped off at a place when you can still grab it with vice-grips once you pull the side plate off again. If not, it's not a super critical one.
Agreed.
I've often changed those drags and sometimes even added a washer.   They do scrape the body on occasion and you can even machine the ridge on the side plate a little to make more space.
Cornelis