Penn Senator 16/0 drag issue

Started by Rosgood14, May 28, 2018, 12:03:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rosgood14

Quote from: Shark Hunter on May 29, 2018, 05:28:05 PM
You can tie it to a solid object and do just a straight pull with only the reel in your hands.
That provided the most accurate reading. If You leave it on the rod, you are at your own risk. ;D

So I should be able to hold at least 30lbs of weight with the reel on a straight pull correct.

Rosgood14

Ok so I just did a straight pull test from just the reel not with the rod and I was only able to hold about 21lbs of weight. That is without the old asbestos washer I had added when I was troubleshooting before. The last washer that goes into the stack of drag washers is it a special type. The one I have looks like it has a slight bow to it meaning it's not a flat washer like the rest.

Army_of_One

It's the beveled washer(#86).  It helps add force to the drag stack when the star is tightened down.
Another day in Paradise!

Gfish

Hmmm, 21lbs. Is pretty light for a 16/0, that's closer to what a 9/0 or even a 6/0 might get. This is gettin interestin. Didja check to see if the drag star is bottoming-out on the side plate, or does it still have clearence, when the star's locked down?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Shark Hunter

You should get close to 30lb if not more.
I wonder if that Penn Blue Grease on the drags has something to do with it?
You know you can remove the main gear with the drags from this reel without taking the side plate off, right?
You might need a new Belleville on top of the stack. Its cone shape should be facing down, with the Cover on top and then the tension spring and star.
Your stack looks correct from the pictures. Something else is going on.
Life is Good!

Rosgood14

Quote from: Shark Hunter on May 30, 2018, 02:16:20 AM
You should get close to 30lb if not more.
I wonder if that Penn Blue Grease on the drags has something to do with it?
You know you can remove the main gear with the drags from this reel without taking the side plate off, right?
You might need a new Belleville on top of the stack. Its cone shape should be facing down, with the Cover on top and then the tension spring and star.
Your stack looks correct from the pictures. Something else is going on.

I have been removing just the main gear to get the washers out and as far as the grease I barely put any on them more of a film. The Belleville is at the top with the cone part facing down. The tension spring is the one that fits in the groove on the drag star correct. Could it be worn out to the point of causing my issue.

Alto Mare

Flip the last washer (Belleville)and you should get close to 40 lb with the star buttoned all the way.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Rosgood14

Quote from: Alto Mare on May 30, 2018, 02:43:11 AM
Flip the last washer (Belleville)and you should get close to 40 lb with the star buttoned all the way.

Sal

I just went and flipped the Belleville washer (cone down) and it did help a little but I'm still only getting about 26lbs of drag now. Also the drag star is not bottoming out on the side plate but I did notice the tension spring is smashed down all the way to where he star is flat on the cover that goes over the drag washers. Not sure if it's supposed to be when it's tightened all the way up or not.

Shark Hunter

Try adding another flat uneared metal washer under the Belleville.
I think you are running out of room as the star is cranked down, not giving your full drag potential.
It is hard to tell if your bottoming out with the cover over the drags on the 14 and 16/0.
That Belleville should be completely sticking out on top of your stack before you put the cover on.
I usually never have to add anything when buying a complete 7 stack kit from Scott's.
26lb is still a respectable number. You have to give into account that your scale might be off as well.
I don't know how many Sharks you have caught, but buttoned down with 26 lbs on stand up gear will wear you down.
I'm not saying you should settle, but you are in the ball park.
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Quote from: Rosgood14 on May 30, 2018, 03:13:54 AM
Quote from: Alto Mare on May 30, 2018, 02:43:11 AM

Sal

I just went and flipped the Belleville washer (cone down) and it did help a little but I'm still only getting about 26lbs of drag now. Also the drag star is not bottoming out on the side plate but I did notice the tension spring is smashed down all the way to where he star is flat on the cover that goes over the drag washers. Not sure if it's supposed to be when it's tightened all the way up or not.

No, the cone shape should always be facing up. Sorry, I thought you had it in the other way.
On some reels the threads on the star could actually go bad, but I have ever seen this on the larger Senator, only on the smaller.
As Shark Hunter has suggested, You might just need to add another washer. It could be metal, or another carbon fiber at the base.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Rosgood14

Quote from: Shark Hunter on May 30, 2018, 04:40:08 AM
Try adding another flat uneared metal washer under the Belleville.
I think you are running out of room as the star is cranked down, not giving your full drag potential.
It is hard to tell if your bottoming out with the cover over the drags on the 14 and 16/0.
That Belleville should be completely sticking out on top of your stack before you put the cover on.
I usually never have to add anything when buying a complete 7 stack kit from Scott's.
26lb is still a respectable number. You have to give into account that your scale might be off as well.
I don't know how many Sharks you have caught, but buttoned down with 26 lbs on stand up gear will wear you down.
I'm not saying you should settle, but you are in the ball park.

Not sure what 7 stack kit your talking about but I ordered the HT-100s from Scott's and it's a set of 14 that replaced the old set of 10.

Rosgood14

No, the cone shape should always be facing up. Sorry, I thought you had it in the other way.
On some reels the threads on the star could actually go bad, but I have ever seen this on the larger Senator, only on the smaller.
As Shark Hunter has suggested, You might just need to add another washer. It could be metal, or another carbon fiber at the base.

Sal
[/quote]

Ok just to clarify is this cone down or cone up. The threads look good and the drag star is definitely tightening down. It's gonna be a few days before I can work on ge reel but I appreciate y'all help and I'll let you know what I figure out next.

Shark Hunter

In my eyes, that is cone down.
I have had reels that stripped the sleeve. Look very closely at the threads.
I noticed in your pic of your drag stack. You have a handle washer on the inside of the star.
This goes on the other side of the drag cover cap, then your handle.
Not sure if this is an issue, but it doesn't go there.
Life is Good!

Rosgood14

Quote from: Shark Hunter on May 30, 2018, 05:26:25 PM
In my eyes, that is cone down.
I have had reels that stripped the sleeve. Look very closely at the threads.
I noticed in your pic of your drag stack. You have a handle washer on the inside of the star.
This goes on the other side of the drag cover cap, then your handle.
Not sure if this is an issue, but it doesn't go there.

That washer just got set there when I took it apart. It has been in the right place. And to clarify you stated the cone should be down and Sal I believe said it should be facing up so which way is it. With it down like you stated I got more drag than with it facing up. As far as the drag threads if they were wore down wouldn't the drag star slip instead of getting tight.

Shark Hunter

On that particular sleeve, It felt just like normal, but then when you went to retrieve, The drag would slip.
I'm not saying this is your issue, but it does happen. It took me a few minutes to figure that one out. It wasn't obvious until I looked closer.
Everyone has their own way of setting up their reel. I install mine as your picture shows, but Honestly, most of my Senators have the insert kit now.
When I have an issue with the drag, I have the luxury of changing Gears, Sleeves and Bridges until I get that perfect fitment.
It is hard telling who has been in the reel before you, and the parts have been changed before.
Life is Good!