Frozen solid 110

Started by oldmanjoe, June 03, 2018, 03:40:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldmanjoe

Pick up this little challenging 110 .     Every thing was frozen ,crank handle assembly , spool shaft,rotor, the only thing that moved was the bail.
Soaked it in gas for a couple hours just to clean it for a soaking in penetrating oil . 

Following day i was able to get it apart.
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

festus

Looks like the innards cleaned up.  Good work, Joe.

oldmanjoe

After cleaning the castings there was little paint left , so i finished stripping the paint and repainted .

I am having a little trouble with the brake spool spindle and spool axle .
The button seams to be stuck way down in the brake spindle     Back in the penetrating oil .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

mo65

Joe, I had one Quick where the spool release button got stuck like that, but when I clicked the spool back onto the brake spindle it popped right up! Hope you can get yours figured out. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Reel 224

That's a challenge but you have a good start, looking good.

Joe (Reel 224)
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

oldmanjoe

Quote from: mo65 on June 03, 2018, 01:54:35 PM
   Joe, I had one Quick where the spool release button got stuck like that, but when I clicked the spool back onto the brake spindle it popped right up! Hope you can get yours figured out. 8)
I pulled the cross pin from the axle .  this allowed me to move the brake spindle down further and grab the button.
The button was froze to the axle , but after a few  minutes got it spinning .     The axle is still stuck in the spindle ,so back into the oil.

Played with it some more and it just does not feel rite .    Starting to think that this is not rite spindle for this shaft , possible a n series ?
  Is there a length difference between the two ?

oldmanjoe

Still could not separate the brake spindle and axle .     I decided to put it back together as is ,not broken broken but usable .
  Maybe some day it will free it self up .    Other than that it works well .

festus

Remarkable clean up job, it looks better than most of those 110 that bring 40 bucks or more on the net.

Midway Tommy

Nice save, Joe!

If it were mine I would soak the spindle & shaft in straight vinegar over night. That should loosen corrosion that penetrating oil won't touch. If the shaft doesn't pull straight off after that I would slide a small diameter deepwell socket or two over the shaft and lightly drive the spindle off with a hammer. I've done that many times on frozen shaft/spindle issues. Once off everything is easy to cleanup.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

oldmanjoe

Quote from: Midway Tommy on June 04, 2018, 03:34:12 AM
Nice save, Joe!

If it were mine I would soak the spindle & shaft in straight vinegar over night. That should loosen corrosion that penetrating oil won't touch. If the shaft doesn't pull straight off after that I would slide a small diameter deepwell socket or two over the shaft and lightly drive the spindle off with a hammer. I've done that many times on frozen shaft/spindle issues. Once off everything is easy to cleanup.
After reading your post ,i pulled the shaft out again .    Stuck it in a small pill bottle with red wine vinegar "  all out of white"
I am liking the idea of the deep well socket , Like a slide hammer first .       Thanks for the tip .    joe 

thorhammer

great work. what paint did you use?

oldmanjoe

I am using  VHT wrinkle plus found in the auto parts store .  Than baking on the barbecue for 2 hours at 200-250 degrees.

Midway Tommy

Quote from: oldmanjoe on June 04, 2018, 12:44:55 PM
Quote from: Midway Tommy on June 04, 2018, 03:34:12 AM
Nice save, Joe!

After reading your post ,i pulled the shaft out again .    Stuck it in a small pill bottle with red wine vinegar "  all out of white"
I am liking the idea of the deep well socket , Like a slide hammer first .       Thanks for the tip .    joe 

Be aware of the pin in the shaft and make sure you aren't slide hammering it, too.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

oldmanjoe

I had pulled the pin just to get me the room i needed to grab the button.
  There is still some grime coming out wile working it .       Let the man in the can work for awhile longer

handyandy

it destroys paint and you have to agitate it now and again but 50/50 acetone thinner and automatic trans fluid is a great penetrating oil. If you have an ultrasonic cleaner put the part in a small jar with the 50/50 acetone trans fluid mix. Put the jar in the ultrasonic cleaner, fill it with water to surround the jar, then let it run a while. The ultrasonic has done wonders for me to help work in penetrating fluids into small tricky parts that are stuck. Glass jar works best in the ultrasonic to help transmit the vibrations. I have one of the harbor freight ultrasonic cleaners it has been going strong for me the last two years almost three. I've used it on many reels, gun parts, small engine, and car parts that fit in it.