alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial A worse thing to misplace than a dog spring
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
August 23, 2019, 03:04:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A worse thing to misplace than a dog spring  (Read 4517 times)
Swami805

« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2018, 12:04:58 PM »

I confess I work on reels sitting on my lazyboy while watching tv. There’s that space between the chair arm and cushion that has a strange magnetic vortex that sucks in small parts. The deeper you dig the farther down it goes until it’s down in the spring contraption. Every once and awhile I’d stick a magnet down there and restock the parts department. It had been awhile and my wife surprised me with a new lazyboy.  So much for my spare dog spring department
steelfish
the Baja Guy
Sensei

Sea of Cortez

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2018, 03:37:06 PM »

I confess I work on reels sitting on my lazyboy while watching tv. There’s that space between the chair arm and cushion that has a strange magnetic vortex that sucks in small parts. The deeper you dig the farther down it goes until it’s down in the spring contraption........

hahaha seems like if you were talking about me, I also work on reels and rods on a lazyboy while watching TV, from time to time you will see me crawling on the floor and hear my wife say.. there you go, you just lost another flying spring  Grin Grin

I swear for the life of me that I will find that place where all those flying springs live together with my long list of lost socks
kungajim

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2018, 01:52:31 PM »

lost a spring this weekend.  was on the carpet with the light, and eventually found it.  if not, was going to use a trick I think I saw on this site...wrap the end of a vacuum hose with pantyhose/etc, with tape, rubber band, etc and then vacuum around.  glad I didn't need it, but i'm sure I will eventually.

I too use little lids and saucers for small parts.  need to add a magnet to one, thats a good idea.

so many baits....so little time
sdlehr

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2018, 04:24:04 AM »

I put my head or one eyball as close to the floor as possible and look straight across it. Found many a small part that way.
If there is a cat in the room when the piece drops I always look to see where the cat is looking. It works more often than not!

Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector
George6308

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2018, 05:36:11 AM »

Been on few hunts for flying parts. Still have not found the nylon bushing for the anti reverse on a Penn 716. The tile kitchen floor was searched but no luck. A trip to the plant was made and six replacements joined the parts box. No loss as a Penn trip always made a good day. Miss being able to go directly to Penn to pick up parts.
Tried all the for named tricks at one time or another.
All those missing bits wind up in the same orbit as those missing socks from the dryer !
Maybe Penn will reconsider allowing walk in's.
Frank

« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2018, 10:54:04 AM »

When searching the floor for dog springs and other subatomic size reel parts, I have found that a good high intensity flashlight will almost always save the day.

Works for me when I turn off all the lights and hold the light on a right angle to the floor. The part will cast a small shadow making it easier to spot.

Frank. Retired. Life long fishing and boating fanatic.
Frank

« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2018, 10:56:56 AM »

magnetic parts trays work great. So do tea infusers.

Ive been using these tea infusers for a few years now. As I take reels apart all the small parts go inside. Even with big reels all the screws go inside to be cleaned.

You can fit everything except the bridge on most small reels. You dont lose the parts and it holds the parts for you if you use a parts washer and ultrasonic cleaners.

You can fit all the hardware and gears from a Mitchell 300 in one of these. The ones I use are 2.5” or 3” in size.

Today i was doing a box full of International reels. All the screws, quadrant spacers, harness lugs, and rod bolts fit inside one of these. The parts get shaken around in the parts washer, rinsed with hot water, and thrown in the UL cleaner. Nothing gets lost.

Keith

Very cool, Keith!

Frank. Retired. Life long fishing and boating fanatic.
Gobi King
Firearms Group

« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2018, 11:28:23 AM »

magnetic parts trays work great. So do tea infusers.

Keith

Keith, good idea, I have the same on a chain for spices for cooking. I think they are couple of bucks at walmart.

Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan
George6308

« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2018, 11:44:40 AM »

Harbor Freight has had coupons for a free 4 inch magnetic parts tray. Right now they have a coupon for the 6 inch for $2.99.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: