Monster Mag 10 **Finished Pics 10/15/18**

Started by xjchad, June 06, 2018, 10:32:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xjchad

Husband, Father, Fisherman

xjchad

Double Dog Round 2

So I got a bit ahead of myself with the double dogs and made some rookie mistakes by not checking clearances to all the other internals.
The second dog and spring are right in the way of the eccentric jack  ::)

Here's version 2.  I drilled/tapped a new hole and used a coil spring I had to make a new dog spring.  I cut off the tag end of the dog and cut a groove in the back side for the spring wire to sit in.  This version will only need minimal trimming of the side plate to fit.

mo65

There's not much room to work on that small bridge of the Mag 10. I know when I increased the gear sleeve size from #98-155 to #98-60 it made the dog take a wider swath, necessitating some dremel work. I like the spring in the slot idea you used...very creative! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

JRD

Nice Work Chad.  By the way I used the 155 today to throw a waxing for Calicos and Bass, it works phenomenally with your mods.

xjchad

Quote from: mo65 on June 21, 2018, 10:28:36 PM
   There's not much room to work on that small bridge of the Mag 10. I know when I increased the gear sleeve size from #98-155 to #98-60 it made the dog take a wider swath, necessitating some dremel work. I like the spring in the slot idea you used...very creative! 8)

Thanks Mo!

Quote from: JRD on June 22, 2018, 02:58:08 AM
Nice Work Chad.  By the way I used the 155 today to throw a waxing for Calicos and Bass, it works phenomenally with your mods.

Thank you for letting me know about the 155 (Critter Gitter) Randy! I'm super happy to hear that it's working well for you!

thorhammer

xjchad

JRD

After a USPS tour around SoCal I received a nice little surprise from Chad today.  I won't disclose the way he did it until he does but I've got a nice beefy seat for one of my Mag 10s.  With a Keta Dog, Toms Sleeve, Bryan's 5 stack Motive titanium handle blade and Alan C's knob it's ready for testing.  I'm going to test this reel this summer with level wind intact until failure to see what the old school can do compared to a Tranx 300 and Calcutta te200gt - size comparable reels. The goal is to keep the level wind and make it as capable as possible without grenading it.   Starting Sunday I'm going to start (hopefully) with some fire cracker (2-6 lb) yellow tail.

I used hand tools and the mod took about 20 minutes including a refresh on the reel itself.   With a garage and real tools it would be faster.

Nice work Chad.  I'm not ready to tackle the bridge quite yet tho.

xjchad

Quote from: JRD on June 26, 2018, 05:01:01 AM
After a USPS tour around SoCal I received a nice little surprise from Chad today.  I won't disclose the way he did it until he does but I've got a nice beefy seat for one of my Mag 10s.  With a Keta Dog, Toms Sleeve, Bryan's 5 stack Motive titanium handle blade and Alan C's knob it's ready for testing.  I'm going to test this reel this summer with level wind intact until failure to see what the old school can do compared to a Tranx 300 and Calcutta te200gt - size comparable reels. The goal is to keep the level wind and make it as capable as possible without grenading it.   Starting Sunday I'm going to start (hopefully) with some fire cracker (2-6 lb) yellow tail.

I used hand tools and the mod took about 20 minutes including a refresh on the reel itself.   With a garage and real tools it would be faster.

Nice work Chad.  I'm not ready to tackle the bridge quite yet tho.

Randy,
I'm glad it finally made it to you!  ;D

I'm very interested to hear how it holds up and how you like it.
Feel free to post some pics if you feel like it.  I would have already, but I forgot to take some before I sent it to you.
I'm actually doing something a bit different on my reel.  I had another idea after I made the parts I sent you.
I'm hoping to get a bunch more done this week. 
Good luck on Sunday!

mo65

Quote from: JRD on June 26, 2018, 05:01:01 AM
With a Keta Dog, Toms Sleeve, Bryan's 5 stack Motive titanium handle blade and Alan C's knob it's ready for testing.  I'm going to test this reel this summer with level wind intact until failure to see what the old school can do compared to a Tranx 300 and Calcutta te200gt - size comparable reels. The goal is to keep the level wind and make it as capable as possible without grenading it.   

This is exciting! And will be great info to have on hand for future hot rodders. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

JRD

These are built the same except for Chad's stand mod and one has a titanium crank arm the other stainless.

JRD

You can see I burned the stainless Allen screws a bit turning them down and still need to trim them for lenght.

The alignment is perfect and the reel free spools great.  Now Sunday will be the first testing day.  Thank you Chad, now we just have to remind Keta again to cut some more dogs!!!

xjchad

Looks great Randy.  Thanks for posting the pictures!
So you turned down the diameter of the bolt heads to fit the existing counterbore in the side plate?  I should have thought of that, I just opened up the counterbore to fit the bolt head on mine.  I guess I should have cut the screws a bit shorter too.
I love those handles!  I put one on my 970 Mag Force.

Can't wait to see how you do this weekend, good luck out there!

JRD

Quote from: xjchad on June 26, 2018, 05:46:14 PM
Looks great Randy.  Thanks for posting the pictures!
So you turned down the diameter of the bolt heads to fit the existing counterbore in the side plate?  I should have thought of that, I just opened up the counterbore to fit the bolt head on mine.  I guess I should have cut the screws a bit shorter too.
I love those handles!  I put one on my 970 Mag Force.

Can't wait to see how you do this weekend, good luck out there!

I actually did not have the right sized bit so I did both counter bore the plates and turn the diameter and height of the screws.  It's hard working on the kitchen counter!  The gear side plate may get a little thin on the sides of the counter bore if you counter bore to the original head size of the Allen's.  I took the knurling plus a little off.  Since I didn't have the right drill I got it close then used the head of the Allen to burn the counter bore in by chucking into a 3/8 drill at high speed and running it into the counter bore.

xjchad

Quote from: JRD on June 26, 2018, 05:52:50 PM
I actually did not have the right sized bit so I did both counter bore the plates and turn the diameter and height of the screws.  It's hard working on the kitchen counter!  The gear side plate may get a little thin on the sides of the counter bore if you counter bore to the original head size of the Allen's.  I took the knurling plus a little off.  Since I didn't have the right drill I got it close then used the head of the Allen to burn the counter bore in by chucking into a 3/8 drill at high speed and running it into the counter bore.

I love the ingenuity Randy.  There's always a way to get it done!

I was able to counterbore the hole to fit the head of the screw.  It does get a bit close to the edges, but I think it leaves just enough meat there to be safe.