Monster Mag 10 **Finished Pics 10/15/18**

Started by xjchad, June 06, 2018, 10:32:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

Two feet on the way for Monday; otherwise it would limp noticeably. :)

This is a pay-forward from Ted, who sent me a bunch of matched anodized feet for my CC Classics, so I had the original black ones hanging out waiting for such a project. I was thinking of something similar for a winter project but mine will be a homemade, dremel-distorted Picasso interpretation of what Chad's about to do.

Chad, if this works, we will be liking a follow up for a 66 LB, plzzzzzzzz......

Decker

Quote from: xjchad on July 13, 2018, 05:03:57 PM
Quote from: Decker on July 13, 2018, 04:36:13 PM
What modifications are needed to put the 30-49 stand on the Mag 10?  And the Newell stand?   

Randy (JRD) posted some pictures on the previous page and on his thread here: http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=25781.0 showing the spacers I made him that allow the use of the 30-49 stand.  These will also work with the Newell 220/501 stand.  I don't have any more at the moment, but if there's more interest, I can make some.

The current project for my Monster Mag is a half frame that will fit the Newell (or 30-49) stand to it.  John is also sending me a Tiburon frame foot to try as well.

I'd think the stand on a Mag 10 would be one of the first upgrades anyone would want to do.  Would be really cool if someone were to manufacture a an upgrade stand or a frame.

Chad, if you make a run of spacers, please count me in for a set or two (or three.)  That reel is my favorite for bottom fishing with the family.

/Joe

JRD

[quote author=xjchad

The current project for my Monster Mag is a half frame that will fit the Newell (or 30-49) stand to it.  John is also sending me a Tiburon frame foot to try as well.

[/quote]

Chad looking amazing.  I recently ordered one of the Tiburon reel feet to fit smaller rods from Randy Pauly without any formal plans of using it (I just wanted to see the difference) so if you end up needing another I have one sitting in the parts box I can send you.

xjchad

John,
I received the two Tiburon feet this morning, thank you!
I'm hoping to have time to play with that idea this week.
I'll post my results right away.

Quote from: JRD on July 14, 2018, 03:25:36 PM

Chad looking amazing.  I recently ordered one of the Tiburon reel feet to fit smaller rods from Randy Pauly without any formal plans of using it (I just wanted to see the difference) so if you end up needing another I have one sitting in the parts box I can send you.

Thanks Randy!
At this time, I don't think I'll need another one, but I'll keep you posted  ;)

Husband, Father, Fisherman

xjchad

Finished the pocket to mount the Newell stand.

Next step is to drill/tap the side plate holes.
Finish cutting it to fit, and clean it up.
Hopefully I'll be cutting it exactly in half so I can use the other half to try mounting one of the Tiburon stands that John sent me.

Now I need to figure out what to do for corrosion protection.  I've gone down the annodizing road and it's way to expensive to have that done for small one off parts.
Open to suggestions  ;D

xjchad

Alto Mare

Nice to see things being created from scratch...nice work!
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Decker

Mount a blade inside, and you could make ice cream :P

xjchad

So up to now I had planned to cut the tube in half making a topless frame and reuse one of the lower small cross bars in the upper position where the large slotted cross bar for the level wind was at.  The last few days I just been looking at it and looking at it, and I think I've come up with a way to make it a full frame  ???  We'll see if it works or not, I've got a couple different ideas floating around, but I need to get back on the mill next week hopefully.  Wish I had more hours in the day!

swill88

Beautiful work Chad.

Really enjoying this project.

Steve

mhc

Looking good Chad - the full frame sounds like the way to go, can't wait to see what you come up with.
Other than anodizing, powder coat or cerakote are two finishes that come to mind, still not cheap though.  :-\

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

xjchad

Ugly, but getting closer on the frame.
I also got a nice counterbore to open up the holes in the side plates for the larger screws.

Reel 224

It's coming along quite nicely......................Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Alto Mare

You call it ugly, I call it beautiful.
You got some serious talent Chad...good job!
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

mhc

I'm with Sal, nothing ugly about that! Nice work, it's looking great.

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.