Seeking information on Penn 151

Started by cmdrzog, June 20, 2018, 02:39:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cmdrzog

Recently purchased on Penn 151 and can't find any information on it at all.  It appears to be a Surfmaster 200 excepting the headplate (and possibly the internals, I haven't stripped it yet).  The condition is acceptable and my intention was to narrow it to a 99 width and fish it. If it has collectible interest I will just clean and stick on a shelf w/ other "well heres a curious one" reels.  Thanks for any replies.

George6308

Sounds more like a 155 Beachmaster. Same size as 200 but without removal spool. 160 is the mid size while 180 Baymaster is the smaller spool size.

mo65

Not sure exactly what you have there...but the 151 Surfmaster is a hard to find piece. It's a non drag/non anti-reverse version of the 150, which is already 99 width. I'd like to see pics of the reel, congrats on the buy! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

cmdrzog

The head plate is marked 151 it is 200 width and it has a drag.  I have a 190 with a drag also so this stuff must happen.  Putting it back to 150 width and shelving it seems the thing to do.   Thanks for the help.  If my wife will take some pics I'll try to post them.

mo65

I found this recently sold reel on eBay...is this your reel? Evidently someone replaced the non-drag gear and sleeve with a standard star drag set up. Also I took pics of stock 151 and 201 reels from Mike's book. I think your reel was someone's early "custom". 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Reel 224

Quote from: mo65 on June 21, 2018, 03:14:33 AM
   I found this recently sold reel on eBay...is this your reel? Evidently someone replaced the non-drag gear and sleeve with a standard star drag set up. Also I took pics of stock 151 and 201 reels from Mike's book. I think your reel was someone's early "custom". 8)

Right on Bro!  ;)

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

cmdrzog

Hello Mo65

Yes that is the reel.   I bought it hoping for a 150.  The modification to 200 is more than likely excepting the metal insert on the head plate that the gear sleeve exits the reel through.  In the picture of the 251/151 that you provided the insert is long enough to prevent at best any but 1 or 2 threads of the gear sleeve being exposed; almost all, if not all direct drive reels that I have seen are constructed like this.  Those without a metal pass through have an extended molded lip.
Of course the insert could have been shortened as part of a modification.  The problem w/ this is the top of the insert in this reel is still plated.  I do not know if it is stainless which would resolve that problem, however I did take a file to a trashed jiggy plate and brass showed through.
Thanks for those pix and for now it will sit on a shelf.

Bob