What is the best way to fix a rod that broken in half?

Started by JBH, June 20, 2018, 07:34:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JBH

I have a 6-foot crappie rod that has broken in 2 pieces, just after the first guide.
What is the best way to fix this?

MarkT

The first guide down from the tip?   Put a new tip guide on it.  However, the shorter rod will be stiffer than originally.  Best way to fix is to buy a new rod.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

JBH

FatTuna

For me, if I snap it anywhere other than the tip, I junk the rod. If a guide breaks, I have a new one put on at the local shop for $10.

So far this year, I've snapped 6 cheap Penn rods. All in the dumpster. I keep buying them because they are only $40 and I don't have to worry about them. My expensive gear gets babied.

JBH

That's what I would normally but it has sentimental value, and Id really like to fix it.

MarkT

If it's a solid blank trash it.  If it's hollow you can get a piece of another blank that will fit inside it and epoxy it together.  Probably a piece of dowel too on a rod that light.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

JBH

how long should the piece on the inside be? should I put a wrap over it? / could I use a ferrule?

droppedit

If the break is clean this fix is fairly easy but if you have a shattered break you'll have to get a little creative. You want to cut off the butt cap and slide a piece of old rod up the inside of the butt section.  Depending on how heavy a rod it is I'd say between 2-3 inches on either side of the break. If I was doing this I'd score or sand the inside of either side of the break and the outside of the piece that will be the patch. Use a good slow cure epoxy and glue the butt side first making sure you clean off any excess epoxy. I'd let that cure for a day and then glue the top. This way you know the patch hasn't slipped. After that has cured I'd then do a wrap at least an inch on either side of the break and finish. It will be a little stiffer but usable. Saying this is like fixing a car in a bar but then we all have opinions ;)
Hope you are able to save the rod.

Dave
Some days the supply of available curse words is insufficient to meet my demands.

http://www.turnerscustomrods.com

STRIPER LOU

Will a male/female ferrule set get you out of trouble. It wont be perfect but may be a reasonably simple solution.

..............Lou

philaroman

Reel 224

JBH: Lou's answer to repair is the best suggestion for a break like that, wish you well on the repair.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

JBH

ok thanks guys,

so how do I go about installing a ferrule?

Swami805

Cut both ends square, measure the outside diameter of each end, go online and buy a ferrule to fit. A little large is ok and you can build it up a bit to fit with epoxy. Lightly sand the ends that go into the ferrule and glue them on with epoxy.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

oldmanjoe

Can you take some  pictures  so we can better advise what can be done ?
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Reel 224

Quote from: oldmanjoe on June 21, 2018, 02:17:57 AM
Can you take some  pictures  so we can better advise what can be done ?

Yes take pictures.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."