2 Squidders with 2 speed transmissions and a Baymaster with a multiplier

Started by Petah, June 21, 2018, 05:21:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Petah

I just acquired one each:a TeePee, a ReelDeal and a Powerhouse transmission.
The TeePee is mounted on a 145 Squidder, The ReelDeal is on a 146 Squidder and I have a Powerhouse on a 180 BayMaster
The squidders are 9:1 in High gear and stock 3.1:1 in low gear. The BayMaster turns into a single speed 7:1
All three reels have S.S. gear sleeves, stock steel gears, the squidders have Bryan's 5 stack. The Baymaster has Smooth Carbontex drags. All the bridgeplates have been double dogged with stainless dogs that I make. Drop-in bridgeplates!!! The BayMaster does require a very small amount of sideplate grinding.
One way to solve the sloooow retrieve rates of these reels since no upgraded gear sets are available. They are a tad bulky but do the job that they were intended to do. Gets a lot of attention on the party boats, especially from the Old Timers!!!
Liked to know what you guys think about them!!!

Peter

Bill B

I do not know how this got by, but that is some serious hardware there and some really impressive gear ratios.......have you fished them yet?  What are your thoughts on them....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Gfish

Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Ron Jones

A 9:1 / 3:1 Squidder 145 would be great for shallow bottom fishing, like to 250 feet. You would only need maybe a pound of weight and the9:1 gears would retrieve the rig RIGHT NOW. Then you would still have the 3:1 to fight a decent fish.

Cool

The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

oc1

Whoa.  I've led a sheltered life.  Never heard of those things but sure like the sound of it.  Thank you for the inspiration Peter and thank you Bill for dredging it up.
-steve

mhc

Quote from: Bill B (Tarfu) on July 12, 2019, 10:08:22 PM
I do not know how this got by, but that is some serious hardware there and some really impressive gear ratios.......have you fished them yet?  What are your thoughts on them....Bill

What Bill said! they look to be in great condition as well.
I've seen photos of the Real Deal kits on here - Dominick did a tutorial on one a while back but the TeePee and Powerhouse kits are new to me. Thanks Peter and thanks Bill for reviving the thread.

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Petah

Hey guys,
Tarfu, yes I've fished them!!! The squidders are great for surface iron for yellowtail, school size tuna and barracuda. It's really cool to watch a fish follow the jig and then pounce on it when you really give it some speed. That being said, once hooked it's straight back to low gear. 9:1 just doesn't have any torque with that tiny main gear. The 7:1 is nice for throwing plastics when you need the speed for making a lot of casts to cover a lot of water but when you hook up it turns into a pump and wind fight due to no torque.
G-Fish, I got the TeePee and the Reel Deal from Randy Pauly. I got the Powehouse from a consignment table at Fisherman's Supply's out here in Lawndale, Calif. The ReelDeals can be a little difficult to find and the TeePee's can be real hard to find. I prefer the TeePee myself, the Reel Deal requires you to drop the rod tip to downshift while the TeePee does not. The TeePee seems to feel more solid as well.
I'll do some comparison pics so you guys can see the internals on all three. After I re-wrap a few rods for some trips I got coming up.

Peter