The Big Shark Rig vs a Human Being

Started by The Great Maudu, June 22, 2018, 05:40:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Great Maudu

I have been wanting to try an experiment for about a year. I wondered what would it be like to battle a Human Being. I thought if I had some kind of harness a man could get into, I could tie the line to the back of it and have him walk or run away from me. Well, today I got my chance. Some guys taking down trees on my property happened to be wearing just such a vest. Perfect! I approached one of them and offered $25 dollars cash if he would be my Land Shark. I didn't have my fighting belt and plate so I couldn't apply as much force as I would have liked, but the new drags and upgrades the Shark Hunter put in performed admirably. This is the same I caught a 14' Tiger Shark on last summer. Here's the video;

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

steelfish

LOL, love how the shark was flipping at 0.50s count
The Baja Guy

Swami805

Gotta love tree guys. Next time offer em 50 and get a really mean dog to chase them. Thanks for that
Do what you can with that you have where you are

oc1

I bet you could have stopped him with a lighter rod Mike.  With more flex in the rod the effective length of the lever that wants to pull you over decreases as the rod bends.  As the rod bends it also puts a more steady pressure on the fish so every time the fish gives an inch the rod snatches up the slack. 

If someone has to point the rod at the fish to maintain their balance and keep from being pulled over it is a sign the rod is too long and/or too stiff.  You could even see it happening to the boss a while back in his tuna video.

The tree trimmer would be more difficult to stop if the line was connected at waist level instead of the upper back.  He is pulling with his legs and butt not his back so there would be less leverage trying to pull him over.
-steve

The Great Maudu

Good points Steve. The problem wasn't really the rod though. What out me at a disadvantage in this case was I couldn't properly anchor the butt of the rod. If I had my fighting harness on and the reel clipped in there would have a LOT more pressure applied to the man shark. As it was, I couldn't keep the rod in a steady upright position because the gimbal would dig into my leg. So, round one goes to the man shark.

mo65

Great stuff guys...I hereby decree this video with the "Fish Slap" award. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Shark Hunter

I did something similar with my Sons Dog a few years ago. I couldn't stop her with a 12/0 locked down.
https://flic.kr/p/28s6HGc
Life is Good!

mo65

Quote from: Shark Hunter on June 22, 2018, 10:29:44 PM
I did something similar with my Sons Dog a few years ago. I couldn't stop her with a 12/0 locked down.

I wonder if it has something to do with the "hooked" individual being on dry ground. Ya know...on Swamp People they never wrestle a hooked gator on dry ground...they are always in the water when they pull that line.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

sdlehr

Quote from: mo65 on June 22, 2018, 10:45:04 PM
Quote from: Shark Hunter on June 22, 2018, 10:29:44 PM

I wonder if it has something to do with the "hooked" individual being on dry ground. Ya know...on Swamp People they never wrestle a hooked gator on dry ground...they are always in the water when they pull that line.
I have to admit to being surprised, but it makes sense that one (human or dog) gets much better traction on the ground than in the water. I'm sure that's the answer. The ground isn't going to move under your feet like the water will move against fins. Daron was right, you should've put the guy in the pool.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

The Great Maudu

The problem was I could not stabilize the rod without the harness. With the harness I could have locked down the drag reared back and then it's just a tug of war. I couldn't get any leverage. I guess that's why you fight big fish with a harness.

Swami805

If you get a shot at it again and have your harness and plate have the tree guy use his climbing saddle to transfer his weight to his waist area. That harness was fall protection for an ariel lift. Take a $20 and tape it to a tree and make them work for it
Do what you can with that you have where you are

philaroman

oh, just duct-tape a long stick w/ a cold beer to his head :o
won't matter what harness either of you has -- he'll spool ya ;D

Rivverrat

This Was A Complete Rip In The Pants.... Had Me Busting Up Out Loud !!

I Truely am among my own kind... Jeff

Lalo13

Thanks man !! I needed the laugh !!! ;D ;D ;D