Makaira or VISX?

Started by pitchinwedge, June 24, 2018, 06:26:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pitchinwedge

Folks,

Thinking about getting a 100# bait rig and would appreciate opinions and advice.  The setup would probably also see limited use with a heavy flat fall or similar artificial.

I discovered Alan's post (below) from heavy searching. He's using the UC VIPER with Mak 20. This is surely a great setup but don't know if this was before or after he had a chance to look at the Penn VISX reels.

What are some pro's/con's of the 7'0 vs 7'6 VIPER?  I can't recall all the details, but I remember reading post saying one of the models were totally different between 7'0 and 7'6 versions.  Think it was the Predator or Raptor. 

Also, size 16 or 20 if going with the VISX instead of the Mak?

Thanks!

Quote from: alantani on November 21, 2017, 05:05:56 PM
my personal reel/rod set ups are as follows:

30# bait - penn torque 15 two speed and phenix black diamond hybrid 838mh

40# bait - penn torque 25N two speed and phenix black diamond hybrid 760H

50# bait - penn torque 30 two speed and phenix black diamond hybrid 700xh

60# jig - penn torque 40N and phenix black diamond hybrid 869xh cut down to 8 feet

60# bait - penn 12 vsx and united composites raptor

80# bait - makaira 16 and united composites centaur

100# bait - makaira 20 and united composites viper

130# bait - makaira 50 and united composites invictus

you didn't mention rods, but they are 50% of the equation, both in terms of performance and price. as a general rule, i would expect to spend as much on the rod as the reel. yes, these rod/reel combos average $1000 each. still, matching a new reel with an old school rod would be, well, less than optimal. good luck! alan

MarkT

I have the Mak 20 SEa on the Viper 76 for 100# and the Mak 16 SEa for 80#.
The VISX are getting good reviews too and I don't think you can go wrong with either the Mak or the VISX. The VISX are a little lighter and some like the higher gear ratios.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

alantani

there's an 8 foot viper out there now, right?  don't be afraid of the extra length.  i think it's the 30 visx that is the same size as the mak 20.  either one of those would be fine!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

MarkT

There's now an 8' Raptor but not a Viper... so far.  I'd go with the 7'6" Viper. It has a lighter tip yet more power than the 7'er. Just lay it on the rail and turn the handle, hey, it works for me!

alantani

Wally15

Quote from: alantani on June 24, 2018, 10:59:58 PM
Quote from: MarkT on June 24, 2018, 10:49:52 PM
hey, it works for me!

oh, yeah, i was there!!!!
So was I. I would normally have said "me too" but that might not be PC anymore.
Peaches

Sweet dreams and flying machines in pieces on the ground.
"Fire and Rain"
James Taylor

swill88

Quote from: Wally15 on June 25, 2018, 10:16:54 AM
hey, it works for me!

Peaches

Peaches might not be PC anymore either Honey! ;D ;D ;D

MarkT

pitchinwedge

Thanks for the input, gentlemen.  The VIPER76 looks to be the pick.  As for the reel, it still looks like a toss-up.

Am I correct the Mak 20 uses a thrust bearing, while the VISX 30 does not? Is the absence of this feature even noticeable? Surprising as the Torque 2spds have em. 

alantani

you'll do fine with either reel!

Wally15

Quote from: swill88 on June 25, 2018, 02:17:00 PM
Quote from: Wally15 on June 25, 2018, 10:16:54 AM
hey, it works for me!

Peaches

Peaches might not be PC anymore either Honey! ;D ;D ;D

I resemble that remark  ;D
100 degree Peaches (it's not the heat, it's the humanity)
Sweet dreams and flying machines in pieces on the ground.
"Fire and Rain"
James Taylor

pitchinwedge

Quote from: alantani on June 25, 2018, 05:23:15 PM
you'll do fine with either reel!

Just ordered a Viper76.  Thanks for the input!

Is the size of the Mak20 in between the Penn 20 and 30? What specs should I be looking at to get a better sense of size?  Had the same problem when buying my TRQ25N and 40N.

Rivverrat

The Mak 20 if I remember correctly from the very few I've held one is closer to to Penn's 30 in size. I believe someone here has stated this also... Jeff

pitchinwedge

Ok thanks, Jeff!

Edit:  Ordered the VISX30 - a deal I couldn't refuse made the decision easy.  :o 

Observer

Quote from: pitchinwedge on June 25, 2018, 05:08:37 PM
Thanks for the input, gentlemen.  The VIPER76 looks to be the pick.  As for the reel, it still looks like a toss-up.

Am I correct the Mak 20 uses a thrust bearing, while the VISX 30 does not? Is the absence of this feature even noticeable? Surprising as the Torque 2spds have em.  

FWIW, I am looking into both Mak and VISX series as options as well.

Confirmed via schematic and a phone call to Penn that the VISX does not have a thrust bearing.  My surprise is the same as yours as even the Fathoms have them in their design and I consider the Internationals as their flagship series.

From what I've gathered through this site, the experts here seem to unanimously agree that a thrust bearing is critical to manage handle binding at high drags and to increase the longevity of the other parts.  Angular bearings are size and cost constrained, so thrust is the best option.  

What would be helpful is an explanation from Penn or some of the experts as to how the VISX design manages these issues with the existing design that lacks the thrust bearing.  Perhaps I'll ask this same question in the Penn forums, which may be more closely monitored by Penn.