First look at an A model Sea Wonder--the 2081A

Started by festus, June 25, 2018, 11:48:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

festus

I've been looking for a Sea Wonder 2081 in excellent condition for a few months.  They've been averaging about $38 apiece on the Big Auction, I haven't seen one yet I'd want to pay that much with shipping added.  Late last week I saw a 2081A I'd been following for a couple weeks drop to less than half price on Buy It Now.  I jumped on that fast, got this for less than 20 bucks shipped.  It has a few scratches and scrapes, but this one will eventually be used for fishing, for 12 bucks I expect it.

These are prettier than the earlier grey or maroon Sea Wonders, may be built a little cheaper but still high quality.  The only plastic I found inside was the clicker pawl.  This one had been serviced at least once, there was only a tiny trace of original brown grease visible.  It had been serviced with some clear/greyish grease more recently.  The anti-reverse assembly was the only thing I didn't tear down and clean up, it was in good shape.  This one had the most stubborn snap ring I've ever dealt with, but it eventually came off.

mo65

Wow buddy...that is one sweet reel! I'm glad you got that one, I saw it and figured you'd be watching it. I like the A models too, they have a much more streamlined look without those two big frankenstein bolts in the neck. What is the difference between a 2081 and a 2091? Is the spool smaller? 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

festus

Quote from: mo65 on June 26, 2018, 01:03:38 AM
   Wow buddy...that is one sweet reel! I'm glad you got that one, I saw it and figured you'd be watching it. I like the A models too, they have a much more streamlined look without those two big frankenstein bolts in the neck. What is the difference between a 2081 and a 2091? Is the spool smaller? 8)
Yes, the housing is practically the same on the 2081 and 2091.  The rotor and spool is a little smaller in diameter on the 2081.  The 2081 is about the same size as a D-A-M Quick 440. 

Midway Tommy

Well done, Chester. You'll enjoy that one.  ;)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)