6/0 Kovalovsky

Started by 54bullseye, July 03, 2018, 01:09:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

54bullseye

Here is a neat reel I bought a couple weeks ago and got it by pure luck ! My buddy Doug was at the ORCA convention in Harpers Ferry WV. and had already bought a 9/0 Kovalovsky reel and a 4/0 L.A. Coxe reel both great finds and then he came across this one and gave me the chance to buy it ! One like it is pictured in the book "A conversation with Oscar Kovalovsky" and it seems to be pretty rare with around 6 made. It is unlike most Kovalovsky reels in that the drag is on the tail plate side and it has a cross bar that connects with the adjustment knob on the head plate side !!  There was no throw off lever you just loosen drag to let line out then tighten it back up to fish it ! Cool little reel ! I took pics Sunday morning so here it is.  Thanks for looking !!!             John Taylor                      PS  Check out John Bechtold's Kovalovsky website if you haven't already he did a great job and it is growing all the time !!  
   http://www.kovalovskyreels.com

Vintage Offshore Tackle

54bullseye

Couple more pics last one is picture in Kovalovsky book !  Thanks for looking !!   John Taylor

Swami805

Wow, it looks like new,beautiful reel.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Oceanreels

Brian Purrone  Member ORCA
http://myfishingreels.weebly.com/

STRIPER LOU

mizmo67

Wow, not familiar with the brand but that is gorgeous.
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

54bullseye

Thanks for all the attention on the reel I really like it !!   John Taylor

redsetta

Sensational!
Well done John
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

broadway

John,
   I love it and your passion for finding these relics.  Always love when you post up cause you seem to hit lots of jackpots. I'd love to pass by to see your "hanger" full of fishy artifacts some day.
Someone said it already, but haven't heard.  Is it NOS cause it sure looks it?
Thanks for showing a gorgeous example from one of the most prestigious big game brands,
Dom
PS- Doug is one heck of a guy for doing that!
Do me a favor and ask him if he used to hang out with Al Munger (I heard he and Bruce D. used to by a close friend of his where I got the Model F from) and if so, please ask him about Al's Model F that has a letter claiming it's the first one ever sold by Penn.  I have no way of contacting these seasoned collectors.

54bullseye

Quote from: broadway on July 04, 2018, 02:24:18 AM
John,
  I love it and your passion for finding these relics.  Always love when you post up cause you seem to hit lots of jackpots. I'd love to pass by to see your "hanger" full of fishy artifacts some day.
Someone said it already, but haven't heard.  Is it NOS cause it sure looks it?
Thanks for showing a gorgeous example from one of the most prestigious big game brands,
Dom
PS- Doug is one heck of a guy for doing that!
Do me a favor and ask him if he used to hang out with Al Munger (I heard he and Bruce D. used to by a close friend of his where I got the Model F from) and if so, please ask him about Al's Model F that has a letter claiming it's the first one ever sold by Penn.  I have no way of contacting these seasoned collectors.
[/quot

Thanks Dom !!  I think the reel could have been fished but well taken care of. The materials used to build it Micarta side plates, Stainless Steel tail plate and I believe spool could be brass that is very well Chrome plated "not sure of that" all make for a pretty seaworthy reel with minimal care. If you look at picture from the Kovalovsky book you see they were made 1946 - 1948 and I have heard from a few very knowledgeable collectors that it was most likely made by Arthur's son Oscar Kovalovsky as he was actively making reels at that time and that many of his reels wore the Arthur Kovalovsky stamp !! Anyway a lucky find for sure !!! I will ask Doug about your buddy and let you know back.    John Taylor

54bullseye

Here is a close up of the "Arthur Kovalovsky" stamp used on this reel.   John Taylor

mhc

That's a spectacular example of a rare Kovalovsky reel John. I don't know much about antique reels but this one really caught my attention, first the perfect condition of it then the practical design of the stand and then the drag housed in the tail plate and adjusted from a knob on the head plate. I noticed the text below the pictures you posted from the Kovalovsky book states it was experimental with fewer than 6 made which probably explains why I couldn't find any photos or description of how the drag works. If you have a look inside, or have photos of the drag system, it would be great to see how it's set up.

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.