Best way to remove rust from multiple parts?

Started by jplee3, July 08, 2018, 02:25:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jplee3

Hey all,

My friend brought me her spinning reel from a GX2 combo (closest schematic I could find is this - https://www.ereplacementparts.com/shakespeare-gx35-ugly-stik-2008-reel-parts-c-186371_186374_186689.html) and was saying that it just wasn't spinning anymore. I opened it up and all the bearings were in awful shape.... some of which I'm pretty sure show signs of rust. I initially have sprayed Corrosion X on these and also many parts of the reel while opening up to help loosen anything that might be 'locking' things up. And then sprayed some of the Penn Reel Spray as well. I'm guessing these products are explicitly intended for removing rust, so with that in mind I'm wondering what products (and process) would be recommended. The drag washer stack is pretty rusty as well - I'm thinking fine grit sandpaper might be OK for those? Is there a good way to remove the rust stains from the felt washers too? The reel seems serviceable but I don't think my friend wants to spend any $ to replace any internals. So I'm just wondering if I can restore everything "as-is" and have it functioning again without the overhead of ordering parts, etc. I would be most inclined to order carbontex but don't even know if that would be worth while.

foakes

Likely just surface rust jplee3 —

I just soak the bearings and metal parts in Metal Rescue for an hour, or overnight.

Then soak in white vinegar for an hour, or so.

Rinse with fresh water — dry and apply CorrosionX or TSI321.

Any surface rust still evident can be removed with light scraping, plus a burnishing fiber wheel, and "0000" steel wool for a final smoothing.

Basically, it is what ever you want to do — since she doesn't want to spend any money — you are in charge.

Just my opinion.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

RowdyW

Sandpaper is not the way to go. Get some 0000 steel wool & a small wire brush. It sounds like the reel got rode hard & put away wet. If the bearings are rusty they are scrap. If your friend doesn't want to spend any money on the reel then you might as well return it to your friend and say that you can't fix neglect without parts. I know that is a little harsh but your friend might get the message to take better care of thier equipment. You can scrub everything with the steel wool & grease it up but it's not going to be right but it might work.

Midway Tommy

I agree with Fred's assessment. You can more than likely get it working and passable if it has a little corrosive rust. Surface rust, especially if it came from some other source like a tackle box or bucket, should clean off easily with a good soak & rub. I wouldn't use anything courser than 800 - 1000 grit wet/dry if I was going to try sanding. Soak & buff would be much better. I would think the bearings would be salvageable unless they're totally locked up.

Good luck & keep us posted on your progress with some photos. 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Swami805

Check the bearing 1st, if it's toast no point in cleaning the reel up if new parts aren't in the cards
Do what you can with that you have where you are

jplee3

I've been soaking the rusty parts in white vinegar. Only one of the bearings was stuck but I just took it out after soaking for an hour or so and was able to break it free. It spins but not nearly as free as the others. I was able to wipe the rust off some of the drag washers but will probably need to rub with steel wool. I may have a metal brush somewhere. If not, Harbor Freight it is!

I guess the rust stains on the felt drag washers aren't that big of a deal then? I have some Cal's so I'm assuming as long as I apply a thin layer especially on the metal washers it should be OK. Assuming I can get the previously stuck bearing to spin a little better, should I pack it and the other bearings with grease (Yamalube)?

oc1

She has never opened it and is unlikely to ever open it so the only thing that matters is shining up the plastic and aluminum on the outside and getting the gears and bearings cleaned up enough so they do not grind.  Soak the bearing in oil, put it on a mandrel and spin it with a cordless drill.  After a few minutes the balls and races will have somewhat polished themselves and be good enough for a spinner.
-steve

jplee3

Quote from: oc1 on July 08, 2018, 05:50:34 AM
She has never opened it and is unlikely to ever open it so the only thing that matters is shining up the plastic and aluminum on the outside and getting the gears and bearings cleaned up enough so they do not grind.  Soak the bearing in oil, put it on a mandrel and spin it with a cordless drill.  After a few minutes the balls and races will have somewhat polished themselves and be good enough for a spinner.
-steve

Thanks! What oil would you recommend soaking these in? One of the bearings is pretty smooth but the others you can 'feel' slightly even though they do spin.

oc1

About anything would do.  People here like TSI321.  A solvent like kerosene might actually work better but you will need to keep reapplying because it will spin off the bearing.
-steve

mo65

I have been cleaning bearings by blasting with WD-40, and it does a great job of carrying out the debris. It is a solvent, so all rust is removed. Then I flush the bearing with oil. Don't worry about it gumming to a residue in this application...that only happens when something is coated with WD-40 and left to dry. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

George6308

Try Breakfree CLP it removes dirt & rust from firearms while leaving a coat of lubricant. I use it on Penn's ball bearings.

handi2

Its more than likely a freshwater reel used in saltwater. Its not going to last long in this environment. The metal parts were not made for saltwater and they rusted.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

SoCalAngler

Why not replace any bearings you feel are bad? If their rusty outside I bet the inside is as well.

If I'm going to that length on cleaning up a reel and I'd like to last in good shape the last thing I'd do is use the old rusty bearings even if I cleaned them. Bearings are not expensive so why use the old crappy ones?

It seems silly to me people would recommend cleaning most likely bad bearings, putting the reel back together and see how things are. Then in a year or two do the whole thing again, and then replace the bad bearings.

To me it makes sense to do a full cleaning of the reel, replace the felt drag washers and use new bearings. This way if simple maintenance is used moving forward the reel last many years without issue.  

Alto Mare

Quote from: SoCalAngler on July 09, 2018, 03:40:04 AM
Why not replace any bearings you feel are bad? If their rusty outside I bet the inside is as well.

If I'm going to that length on cleaning up a reel and I'd like to last in good shape the last thing I'd do is use the old rusty bearings even if I cleaned them. Bearings are not expensive so why use the old crappy ones?

It seems silly to me people would recommend cleaning most likely bad bearings, putting the reel back together and see how things are. Then in a year or two do the whole thing again, and then replace the bad bearings.

To me it makes sense to do a full cleaning of the reel, replace the felt drag washers and use new bearings. This way if simple maintenance is used moving forward the reel last many years without issue.  

You have a good point! on most I toss them, but I'm finding on some reels...as the older Dam spinners, a good cleaning and they're good as new.
I'm thinking it might be related to the quality of the bearings.
Of course this is just my opinion and what I do for my personal reels.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

oc1

It's a thirty or forty dollar combo.  How much of that can the reel alone be worth?  Half?  If so, it's a fifteen or twenty dollar reel that he has already invested a few hours in repairing.  Time has to be worth something and parts would be throwing good money after bad.  By just getting it working the life of the reel has been doubled.  The price of new parts for a junk reel would make a good dent in the cost of that DAM that would last forever.  
-steve