Local salmon trolling

Started by coralsea, July 14, 2018, 11:20:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

coralsea

Have a couple somewhere in my...house-))) thanks.
We use apex/silver horde mostly.
no pain-no gain

whalebreath

Quote from: Benni3 on May 30, 2022, 04:24:39 AMGreat video...I think you need some dr juice scent to kick the flavor or maybe some bacon fat on the end of the hook to get them to bite
Scent is only marginally effective on trolled Salmon baits commercial fishermen in British Columbia use it very little if at all.

Quote from: Dominick on May 31, 2022, 01:21:08 AMIt seems to me that your lure is flipping around too much.  We use.....
That's wrong-any bait a Salmon can swim up to it can and will catch & kill; what you're seeing is Salmon rejecting the lure because it's getting a small electrical shock when it tries to bite it-that's why they're all turning away like that it's right there in front of you just look at what happens with a 'hot boat'.

This is an old old subject here in BC all the commercial boats run 'black boxes' that regulate the production of electric current by the passage of the downrigger wire through the electrolyte-which of course is saltwater.

Sport black boxes are available on the market or you can perform due diligence and carefully go over every source of electrical current on your boat to make it's not 'running hot' or producing too much current causing exactly what we see in that video.

This  website  by an ex-commercial fisherman has some info I use his gear and swear by it

https://lurecharge.ca/

Benni3

Quote from: whalebreath on June 03, 2022, 05:29:34 AM
Quote from: Benni3 on May 30, 2022, 04:24:39 AMGreat video...I think you need some dr juice scent to kick the flavor or maybe some bacon fat on the end of the hook to get them to bite
Scent is only marginally effective on trolled Salmon baits commercial fishermen in British Columbia use it very little if at all.

Quote from: Dominick on May 31, 2022, 01:21:08 AMIt seems to me that your lure is flipping around too much.  We use.....
That's wrong-any bait a Salmon can swim up to it can and will catch & kill; what you're seeing is Salmon rejecting the lure because it's getting a small electrical shock when it tries to bite it-that's why they're all turning away like that it's right there in front of you just look at what happens with a 'hot boat'.

This is an old old subject here in BC all the commercial boats run 'black boxes' that regulate the production of electric current by the passage of the downrigger wire through the electrolyte-which of course is saltwater.

Sport black boxes are available on the market or you can perform due diligence and carefully go over every source of electrical current on your boat to make it's not 'running hot' or producing too much current causing exactly what we see in that video.

This  website  by an ex-commercial fisherman has some info I use his gear and swear by it

https://lurecharge.ca/
A white pork rind has been the trick for over a hundred years from chan pickels to marlin but getting uncle Josh is difficult now ,,,,,a mr twister tail work too,,,,,,, ;D

coralsea

I am running the manual riggers(with braided line instead of the wire) + I have the rib boat.
I think that hook issue is just too "short" from the tail of the lure
And the size of the lure by itself is a little bigger for our cherry-salmon.
I will try smaller lures next time.

Thanks anyway.

no pain-no gain

alantani

posted for coralsea.....

First...movie...Silver Horde lure. I forgot to replace the factory hook....

Second and third ....movie...I played with the speed...But no goal so far.

I think the lure's size is a little...bigger...Need a smaller one.

Will test next time for sure.

Video link:

Thank you a lot!
Timur
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

coralsea

no pain-no gain

Benni3

I have had a problem like that before and galilakatsu hooks kicked the flavor for better hook set up,,,,,,,,,, ;D

whalebreath

Quote from: Benni3 on June 28, 2022, 03:19:19 AMI have had a problem like that before and galilakatsu hooks kicked the flavor for better hook set up
You mean Gamakatsu

alantani

David Hall

Gfish

Pretty cool!
Wonder what would happen if the lure suddenly stopped and fluttered down toward the bottom while a fish was trailing it?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

alantani

philaroman

Quote from: Benni3 on June 04, 2022, 04:09:43 AMA white pork rind has been the trick for over a hundred years from chan pickels to marlin but getting uncle Josh is difficult now ,,,,,a mr twister tail work too,,,,,,, ;D

just get supermarket fatback...  flattest pieces, so you get most rind
I think a weak Borax(boric acid?) brine can be used to soften the rind
I just beat it w/ smooth rock or chew it, 'til I get the right action  ::)
mmm...  bacon gum

Crab Pot

That water is amazingly clear.

When I was in that part of the world, US Navy 1986, 1989, approx. 500 miles east of Vladivostok, the water was dark.

Even the white caps had a green hue to them.

Kind of like the salmon water off Bodega but darker.

And man was it COLD!

We didn't get to fish though.  ;)

How many salmon per day can you keep CoralSea?

Buy it nice or buy it twice.