Single disk drag on frankenpenn 50s?

Started by Whit, July 17, 2018, 11:25:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whit

Friends:

I have a set of random parts for an old International 50 bar model.  In another box sits a frame and sideplates for a 50s.

I'm thinking that I can just buy the 2 speed pinion and internals, but the big question is whether I can use the single disk drag (immaculate) from the 50 if I combine the two. 

I believe when Cal's 2 speeds the old bar models he uses the original drags, stand and sideplates but adds a 50s pinion, but in my case the frame and sideplates are all 50s. 

The spool is from the bar model 50, and I'm not in the mood to spend the $$$ on a 50s spool. 

Sooooo.... If I piece together a 50s frame, sideplates and all mechanicals, can I use the old bar model spool and the one sided drag? 

Sort of frankenpenn, but I did a 50T this way...back in the day, and it works great.

What say you?

Whit 

alantani

i never have, i'm pretty sure this has been done.  i'm just worried about the work involved and the cost of parts.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

TheReelShop

See if someone with an S can measure out the spool length, pinion and compare it to your spool and pinion. I figure this can take out the question of buying or not or if the build is worth it.