Found something strange in my Tekota 700

Started by Board4life, August 11, 2011, 06:33:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Board4life

Opened up my Shimano Tek700 and as I was removing the dogs I found something strange. :-\

This shot of the two screw holes shows one threaded and the other not so much.

This is what I pulled out of the holes.

I am no expert but, since there is only one out of the four screw not threaded, I am assuming there is a mistake. Is this common? And what can I do to fix it? I have had the reel for a few years now with no problems but I am sure it would be wise to find a way to get that more secure.

Thanks

Robert

Nessie Hunter

Will the threaded screw hold in the other hole with damaged threads???

If so???   
Shimano Parts will probably send you a new screw for free (Good customer service on small stuff).
877-577-0600
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

kamuwela

if you can find a tap that size try cleaning up the threads and see if the old screw hold's. if it does then you got lucky, just order a new screw. one with threads   ;D i also agree call shimano and send them the pic's and see what they say, no harm in asking.

broadway

I never opened a shimano tekota, but if it's like the Penn Senator bridge screws (for the spring to compress or stretch without interruption from the threads) maybe it serves a purpose.  If it's the screw that holds the dog it could be to prevent it from being screwed down too tight.  I would check the schematics or call shimano before you put a screw or tap it.
Best of luck,
Dom

Alto Mare

Don't know much about these reels but that makes perfect sense Dom, it is just too obvious for them not to see it :-\. Good call for Board4life to check the schematic. From the looks of it, I'm betting that it was ment to be, but you never know.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

george.s

I just had a look inside my TEK-800 and it has  2 threaded screws on both of the pawl keepers.

http://fish.shimano.com/media/fishing/techdocs/en/TEK700_v1_m56577569830498849.pdf

ps if you have look here Alan has done one already.

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=322.0

Board4life

Yeah... I checked Alan's walkthrough. I deff have a "special" reel. You think, if I was too sell it, I could advertise as one of a kind and get more for it?

Seriously... I am goin to see if the threaded screw will hold. I have to call Shimano anyway so I'll add this to the list.

akfish

Both holes should be threaded -- at least they have all been threaded on the Tekotas I've seen in the shop. The 700 and 800 are very popular halibut reels and I've seen at least  a couple hundred. Shimano is very good about things like this. Call them and I'm sue they will make it right.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

kamuwela