Larger star for a 501 course thread ss gear sleave

Started by jpgrauer, July 19, 2018, 06:28:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jpgrauer

First time posting, love this web site Thanks To All. I have a 10-60 on this reel right now but I need a larger star
any suggestions.  thanks

MarkT

I use a Motive Fabrication Newell style star.  Check out Motive Fabrication in the sell section of this site.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

xjchad

Quote from: MarkT on July 19, 2018, 06:32:24 PM
I use a Motive Fabrication Newell style star.  Check out Motive Fabrication in the sell section of this site.

X2, my favorite as well.
Husband, Father, Fisherman

jpgrauer

Swami805

X3. The Sal style is a nice look too, check out the titanium ones
Do what you can with that you have where you are

mo65

I use stock Penn stars...both the #10-66 and #10-49 are larger and will interchange with the #10-60. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Gfish

Possibly the least expensive option is what mo65 said.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

mo65

Quote from: Gfish on July 19, 2018, 11:17:22 PM
Possibly the least expensive option is what mo65 said.

I like those Newell style stars too but my budget just always ends up using Penn. And it's no consolation prize either...stock Penn stars look great on even the newest customs. One thing to remember is the #10-66 is a bit thicker than a #10-60. If your drag won't back all the way off, then use the #10-49 to replace the #10-60, as it is the same thickness. Don't toss those #10-60s though, they will replace the tiny #10-180 on your Baymasters. 8) 

Alto Mare

If you don't have too much travel with the star, you could still use either larger one mentioned above, but will need to you use the correct spacer.
Mysticparts.com has 5 or 6 option on those:
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/9-60.aspx
You could also sand one down yourself if you wanted to and place the sanded side facing the inner side of the reel.
This is what I do when I want the reel to be as I like it.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

xjchad

Husband, Father, Fisherman

scrinch

Is there a larger replacement from Penn for the fine threaded Jigmaster star?

mhc

I think the 10-505 is the largest penn fine thread star - it's about the same dia as the 10-66 and 10-49 but not as thick.

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

mo65

Quote from: Alto Mare on July 20, 2018, 12:41:39 AM
You could also sand one down yourself if you wanted to and place the sanded side facing the inner side of the reel.
This is what I do when I want the reel to be as I like it.

That is what I do also to arrive at the perfect feel. I broke out the micrometer and checked a few stars this morning. I was wrong about the #10-49 being the same thickness as the #10-60...it is actually about 10 thousandths more...and the #10-66 is about 20 thousandths thicker.

Quote from: mhc on July 20, 2018, 06:52:41 AM
I think the 10-505 is the largest penn fine thread star - it's about the same dia as the 10-66 and 10-49 but not as thick.

Yes...that #10-505 is the largest fine threaded star. I checked the thickness and it was exactly the same as the #10-60.

jpgrauer

I love it, more good info keeps coming. Thanks Everyone.

Jim