alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial How stuck can a sleeve pin get?
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
June 19, 2019, 11:07:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How stuck can a sleeve pin get?  (Read 1014 times)
Indyfisher

« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2018, 08:03:59 AM »

Sometimes you will run into a SS gear sleeve that has either a slightly tapered hole or pin. Then just try turning the pin around or try the hole on the opposite side. I found this to be true with PC (Black Pearl) gear sleeves.      Rudy
Rudy I've encountered this on a few sleeves and pins. This was a stock bridge and sleeve that the pin would not come out of. I've just never had an issue this troublesome with removing or installing a stainless or stock sleeve ever and not being able to find the problem is what's bothering me the most.
mo65
The Freshwater Kid...Chillicothe, Ohio
Sensei

"This ship is filthy Mr. Christian!"

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2018, 08:07:52 AM »

The sleeve I cut off actually had the small play that Sal was discussing.

I'm a bit confused here...if the sleeve had some play then the stuck pin was stuck from the pin hole being tight...not from binding on the bridge post...correct?

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Alto Mare

Southeastern Pennsylvania

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2018, 08:17:16 AM »

Pro challenger pins are purposely made that way, you will not be able to install it ,unless you place the tapered end in.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 08:18:54 AM by Alto Mare » Logged

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.
Indyfisher

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2018, 08:17:54 AM »

Correct Mo. There was no binding issue just the pin unbelievable stuck in hole.
Alto Mare

Southeastern Pennsylvania

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2018, 08:20:53 AM »

A drill might have saved you lots of headaches, I thought the sleeve was frozen.

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.
Indyfisher

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2018, 08:22:02 AM »

Pro challenger pins are purposely made that way, you will not be able to install it allows you please tapered tip in.
You are correct Sal. And most pins that have been in a reel are dome shaped on one end so it's not really an issue if you're paying attention.
Indyfisher

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2018, 08:27:02 AM »

A drill might have saved you lots of headaches, I thought the sleeve was frozen.
Broke a bit drilling at it, without a drill press it was wobbling enough that it was scarring the sides of the hole that's when I just cut it.
Indyfisher

« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2018, 08:45:45 AM »

Sorry for any confusion I caused. That's why I am just as confused, just trying to troubleshoot and understand what the root cause was. Fat pin in a tiny hole? Huh?
mo65
The Freshwater Kid...Chillicothe, Ohio
Sensei

"This ship is filthy Mr. Christian!"

« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2018, 08:56:20 AM »

Sorry for any confusion I caused. That's why I am just as confused, just trying to troubleshoot and understand what the root cause was. Fat pin in a tiny hole? Huh?

No need to be sorry Indy...these things happen. And yes, sounds like a case of fat pin/tiny hole. Cool

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

RowdyW
Firearms Group

« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2018, 09:02:47 AM »

It was probably a very corroded pin in a tight hole that expanded & distorted when you pounded on it with the hardened punch & big hammer even before you tried to apply the heat to it. At least you saved the bridge, that can't be bought separetly like a gear sleeve can.
Indyfisher

« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2018, 09:22:28 AM »

The framing hammer and cutting wheel was the end of the 6 hour battle. I always use a small ball-peen hammer to start. Then lube soak if that doesn't work. Then heat. Then heat to freeze. Next time I'll start with a two ton hydraulic press and skip all the simple stuff. Wink
kmstorm64
Firearms Group

« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2018, 07:16:17 AM »

I wonder if the previous owner lost the original pin and substituted something for it. Not going to say I have never seen that in other things. Some people like to use drill bits to replace lost rifle pins, they can be headaches to replace.

Bad day of fishing still beats a good day at work!
mizmo67
MysticParts.com Sales/Tech

Mystic Island, NJ

« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2018, 07:18:58 AM »

I've found some sleeves it would only tap out in one direction.

~Mo

Maureen Albertson Smiley
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: