Reel seats

Started by JAW1973, July 26, 2018, 06:09:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JAW1973

I'm just wondering why most rods I see (other than jigging and bass bait casting) seem to secure the reel with the threads going up from the butt end side of the rod.  This really makes no sense to me.  They provide a nice comfy handle and then expose plastic and threads when screwing to secure the reel.  Why wouldn't I want my hand resting on that comfy handle all day instead of on some hard plastic?  If they thread from the top, yeah the threads are exposed there, but when you grab above the reel you are usually a good ways away from the reel and the threads wouldn't be in the way.

Just a newbie wondering..

thorhammer

Whenever i build a rod I build it to downlock....not out of comfort per se, but a reel pounding / vibrating all day will just seat itself deeper in the hood rather than back the hood off the threads and cause issues.

SoCalAngler

I have never seen anybody hold their rod under the reel when fishing. Everyone I know holds their rod above the reel with one hand and the other hand on the reels handle.

Alto Mare

I hold my rod above the reel, on top of the reel and below the reel.
It has to do with what I'm fishing for and what I'm using.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

wfjord

Quote from: Alto Mare on July 26, 2018, 09:12:09 PM

Ditto.

JAW1973

Quote from: Alto Mare on July 26, 2018, 09:12:09 PM

Right, but when you are above the ree,l are you right up against the reel?  When I'm below the reel I'm right up on the reel, because I'm usually thumbing the reel while casting or letting line out.  When I'm above the reel I'm up on the rod handle away from the reel seat.

Cor

Let me complicate this a little bit further.

I fit my reel seat 16 cm from the rear of the rod, with the thread facing upward towards the tip.    This makes the rig much more balanced because the weight of the reel at the back moves the point of balance rearward.   There is no way my hand gets any contact with the reel seet on the rear.    When winding my lure I keep the rod tip down towards the water and then my front hand does touch the reel seat, but it does not bother.

Remember I am an Artlure angler and cast and retrieve all the time.
Cornelis

oc1

Depends on the outfit and the person.  Up-lock is better for a boat rod.  You may like a down-lock better for a spinner, conventional surf rig or palming reel.

I stopped using reel seats all together for light baitcasting and just lash the reel to the rod.  It is more versatile and MUCH more comfortable.  If you need to frequently remove the reel from the rod it is more trouble though because you have to re-lash every time.  I set my bench up so that the reel can be dissembled for service without removing it from the rod.  Most of the time the line is still running through the guides, leader still tied to line (dang FG knots), jig still tied to leader and reel spread out on the bench.

-steve

JAW1973

Quote from: thorhammer on July 26, 2018, 07:24:30 PM
Whenever i build a rod I build it to downlock....not out of comfort per se, but a reel pounding / vibrating all day will just seat itself deeper in the hood rather than back the hood off the threads and cause issues.

I figured there was a reason for one way or another.  Then why is almost every rod built to thread from the handle up?  

JAW1973

Quote from: oc1 on July 27, 2018, 10:30:41 AM
Depends on the outfit and the person.  Up-lock is better for a boat rod.  You may like a down-lock better for a spinner, conventional surf rig or palming reel.

I stopped using reel seats all together for light baitcasting and just lash the reel to the rod.  It is more versatile and MUCH more comfortable.  If you need to frequently remove the reel from the rod it is more trouble though because you have to re-lash every time.  I set my bench up so that the reel can be dissembled for service without removing it from the rod.  Most of the time the line is still running through the guides, leader still tied to line (dang FG knots), jig still tied to leader and reel spread out on the bench.

-steve

Can you explain why Up-lock is better for a boat rod?

oc1

Quote from: JAW1973 on July 27, 2018, 09:07:24 PM
Can you explain why Up-lock is better for a boat rod?
You've got one or two hands on the fore grip and one hand on the reel knob.  No casting and not much thumbing the spool so there is no need to grab it below the reel.  With a large reel it's so tip-heavy that you can't really hold it by the rod handle anyway.
-steve

jurelometer

Most of the force on a reel under load  is pulling it toward the tip of the rod.  The fixed end  the reel seat is stronger and less wobbly.

The greater the load, the more important this is.

Having the threaded end of the reel seat on the butt side can be a comfort/ ergonomic issue when casting, depending on the reel/reel seat.

So for a boat rod: high loads+ no casting = uplock.

A freshwater casting rod  can be downlock.   

For either uplock or downlock,  it is often possible to shorten the threaded portion of the reel seat, if you know what reels are going to be used.    I just put together a rod with a Fuji palming  style trigger reel seat for an Okuma Komodo, and took over an inch off the threaded end with plenty of room to spare.

-J

Ron Jones

If we all just got rid of the silly things and rigged our rods deck-hand style none of this would be a concern.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

SoCalAngler

Quote from: Ron Jones on July 28, 2018, 05:40:17 PM
If we all just got rid of the silly things and rigged our rods deck-hand style none of this would be a concern.
Ron

Not all but I have a few. ;) I don't think DH style would work too good for larger game rods and reels though.

day0ne

I personally prefer all my rods to be down locking. It seems to put the reel in a more comfortable place. Personal preference, I guess.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter